Cage Mesh Deformer - Studio Beta

I have a few questions.

• Will this be compatible with R15 & R6?
  • Would we be able to control clothes thickness?
  • Will the clothes be material based or textured based?
  • Will the clothes fit on every avatar?
  • Would the 3D clothes overlap 2D clothes
  • Can developers add this into the game?
  • Would there be different thickness locations? (Jacket over shirt)
  • Will the 3D clothes overlap t-shirts, or will the t-shirts go over the 3D clothing
  • Will the 3D clothes be free or for robux?
  • Last but not least; Will the clothes be animatable / wind effect?
5 Likes

R6 avatars dont get to waer layered clothing

5 Likes

Someone with a brain. Finally.

4 Likes

Youā€™re forgetting the important key factor here, Roblox is made to be easily accessible and make children able to create their own games.
That, plus the fact itā€™s supposed to support all type of games, itā€™s not as easy as just making something for one game, itā€™s an entire engine used by a whole community.

1 Like

Had you not seen this? This gives you a good perspective on why youā€™re wrong.

1 Like

3RU2LQ9glB
Whenever I enable this feature my custom avatar system becomes this horrifying mess of triangles :frowning:

Any idea on how I can fix it? Iā€™d love to use this to further aid in-game customization, but I hope to god we fix this particular side effect before it graduates beta, otherwise I will have legit lost 7 months / 800 hours of work :sweat_smile:

EDIT: So it looks like the update took the C0 and C1 of the meshpart welds into account, whereas previously they were largely ignored. I think I can get things working under these constraints, but if anyone else is having a similar problem hopefully this saves you some time :+1:

10 Likes

I managed to get layered clothing to work on my avatar tonight which is pretty neat!

However Iā€™ve observed a really unfortunate side effect to the way my Character Realism system interacts with layered clothing. Iā€™m worried my system might be screwed if thereā€™s no possible workaround, since I reckon this is done for optimization purposes.

The system works by patching Motor6D.C0 on the fly, using the characterā€™s rig attachments as an origin point. These Motor6D patches unfortunately donā€™t seem to be permeating into the system, and even make it fail to bind on occasion.

I would hate to have to ditch this system just to have layered clothing in our game. If thereā€™s anything that can be done about it, I would greatly appreciate it :slight_smile:!

Here is a repro place:
RealismFault.rbxl (107.0 KB)

25 Likes

I would love to see Roblox fix this for Realism, something about moving your camera and the layered clothing attaching properly just makes me go yes!

7 Likes

that is unironically scary, no sleeping tonight

This looks really interesting! Iā€™m going to try to try using this for fun and see what limits the deformer has!

1 Like

I think we need a plugin for this, we could customize the thickness, and put it on our avatars n stuff easily. From what I read, it looks pretty difficult and time taking to make 3D clothes.

3 Likes

I canĀ“t activate it, it will not be saved, and when you open the roblox studio it deactivates, which can be about it.

2 Likes

would this work on a classic blocky avatar?

3 Likes

What will happen to the 2D clothing of the R6ā€¦
Looks a cool feature for realistic games butā€¦What with R6???

Compatible with R15 Only + rthro maybe
Yes
Probably texture based
Maybe
Yes
I think so
probably, yes
3D clothes overlaps T-shirt
Robux and for roblox probably 1 free
No unless you can script it or something like that.

2 Likes

I have been waiting for this update since it was announced! the is going to be the best Roblox update ever

These features are amazing, thank you Roblox for doing this!

Anyways, I tried doing this, everything worked except one thingā€¦ When I use the plugin and do what is told, the mesh becomes very long and doesnā€™t look like it did itā€™s job AT ALL.

As you can see, the mesh is stretched and very weird, maybe Iā€™VE done something wrong, but it could be like that because itā€™s in Beta still. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

'cuse me, but what the hell is this thing

Probably not gonna happen. I donā€™t think Roblox cage deformation is that accurate.

1 Like

Just something to be aware of before fully releasing the feature in every gameā€¦

What I recently experienced in Studio:
While having the cage mesh beta feature turned on, resizing the animated skinned mesh custom rig broke the animation (Mainly for rig with more than 1 part; the bones moved, but not the model). Turning on this feature also broke some current skinned mesh custom rig (mainly for rig with more than one part; some parts are not where they supposed to be). Turning off the cage mesh feature fixed the problem.