Cage Mesh Deformer - Studio Beta

I’m not too sure about this,

I don’t know if I misread something and it is supposed to be this way, but the “Hitbox” remains as a box.
Is this intentional and I’m just being a big dummy? It surely helps with a lot of stuff but when it comes to physics isn’t it better to change the geometry too?

Edit: Oh yeah I’m a big dummy :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

I believe this feature has two critical flaws: firstly, the hyper-realism which contributes to Roblox’s loss of its traditional identity as a blocky game, but also that this feature will make it a safe haven for online dating to occur because of how realistic the characters are becoming as depicted in the images in the original post.

13 Likes

Eventually, all the “caging” will be available in the Studio using a built-in plugin and available for third-party Studio plug-ins. A specialized plugin will make rigging simpler and more intuitive.

13 Likes

I would like to know if I can deform meshes with height maps like displacement?

6 Likes

I’ve been waiting a while for this and I’m excited
for the studio beta to finally arrive although, I have one question/concern.

In the section of the post, below, It seems the the character on the far left has it’s Clothes quite stretched giving off the feeling that its basically just resizing it, mostly the textures, since they look really stretched but also the mesh, but inside the game (in studio) I can see that isn’t the case, could you provide info on why it looks so stretched ( especially the mesh )

7 Likes

Thank you for raising this.
I think there’s a little misunderstanding here.
The deformer is never “pushes” for realism nor any specific art style. Anyone might use the cage deformer to make Layered Clothing work for anything! e.g., deformable horse clothes, clothing optimized for blocky figures or custom avatars, vehicle/weapons customization, etc.

25 Likes

yeah it looks ugly like that, i realy like what thier doing but if my r6 blocky avatar has to look like that, im not gonna use layered clothing.

8 Likes

will i be able to animate the clothing in blender?

7 Likes

I disagree. This is the same argument that people have been using since 2006, whenever a new rig/feature comes out, people rush to say that it is too realistic and that “online daters are gonna use it for malicious purposes”, even though nothing happens after the rig/feature releases.

29 Likes

This is awesome! This will makes stuff much easier! :+1:

3 Likes

Quite impressive, but does it affect collisions?

5 Likes

Yes! The deformed mesh is 100% compatible with the mesh skinning.

13 Likes

Not at the moment; we are still considering different options on how to enable this for collisions.

16 Likes

Fixed! The GitHub art repository is now public.

11 Likes

Does this mean that we are finally allowed to import characters that got underwear if we also got clothes for them? I had such problems in the past despite having a custom clothing system made. I also got the assets moderated because of that.

8 Likes

Amazing, absolutely amazing. It was a pain to weight paint meshes in blender for clothes, this makes it so much easier!

4 Likes

I’m not exactly a modeler, so forgive me for being a bit inexperienced here - How do we take the jacket from the example and layer it onto our avatars? I’m curious to see how it’d look on my avatar but don’t know how to go about getting it on.

5 Likes

you can’t dwell on the past and roblox knows that. Roblox will always be everyone’s little lego game.

I doubt anyone will use 3d layered clothing to online date.

These are just my opinions, but there isn’t anything flawed with this. Their example of 3d clothes is what will be used the most, but cage mesh deforming will allow developers to create some awesome stuff.

9 Likes

This is something I wanted to ask too.

Is there a trivial process to make our avatar limbs compatible with WrapTargets, or do the meshes need to be specially tuned for it?

I saw something pertaining to UV maps in the topic post so maybe that’s what it requires. In which case I’ll take a closer look and see if I can get something to work soon.

17 Likes

I can see how this is gonna go now.

5 Likes