Cage meshes can't be created as intented due to fact that vertex after import will be connected to a lot of others

BUG DESCRIPTION:
For entire month I was trying to make custom rig, with custom clothes for it. When imported in Roblox, cages of mesh was ruined due to the fact that every vertex was connected to dozens of others.
Examples:
You can easilly notice that there’s a lot of faces/edges that got created when imported in Roblox. However, if I’ll use just mesh not for cages, it will look good.
Left one ic outer cage for dress, Right one is Outer cage for rig and Inner cage for dress.
Mesh in blender:
UV-map

FILES TO REPRODUCE:

1. Meshes in blender:
    RigForBugReport.blend (4.1 MB)
    BasicDress2.blend (1.3 MB)
    (FBX meshes)
    BugReport_Dress.fbx (340.4 KB)
    RigForBugReport.fbx (1.0 MB)
  2. Studio file:
    BugReportPlace.rbxl (360.1 KB)
  3. Roblox Fish-character file can be found here:
    Project Files and References | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

REPRODUCTION STEPS:

1. Download files.
  2. Open studio file.
  3. Look at rig’s neck, hand, foot… Notice a lot of bumps and etc.
  4. Visualise Rig’s cage using DebugMode “TargetCageOriginal”
  5. You will see, that there’s A LOT OF vertex which got connected with dozens of others
  6. Also, you can compare behaviour of cage of my rig and any roblox rig (example taken from Rig builder plugin)(and rig in 7):
    7.This bug also applies to some FBX files in Creator page:
    Fish character, FBX file from Creator page
    Again, here, a lot of vertex got connected with others.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:
I expect for cages to NOT connect anything that’s not connected in Blender.
ACTUAL BEHAVIOR:
Somewhy, cages are connecting a lot of vertex with another, unwanted ones.

ISSUE AREA: Studio
ISSUE TYPE: Layered clothing’s cages
IMPACT: High
FREQUENCY: Constant, however, Roblox’s rigs from Rig builder (for example) are working as intented.

Extra note:
It’s possible, that it’s just me doing something wrong. But, in this case, there’s no any info about what can cause this and how to fix this issues on Creator’s page, and if it’s my fault I request to add such info to Creator’s page.

2 Likes

I believe you’re asking about the triangulation that happens during import? If so, currently Roblox only supports triangles, but in this case it shouldn’t matter. The new edges, and the “bumps” you’re noticing, should have no noticeable impact on the wrap deformation.

We are still going to look at your examples, just to be sure it’s working as expected.

3 Likes

About triangulation - I tried to do it manually, and this still not helped.

The problems that some of this bumps on rig are very noticeable, like on neck, and hand’s fingers, which are one of main part of my game.
While without clothes it looks like:
And this behavior not mirrored, so in one side (right) of rig, neck is good, while on other one it’s not.

1 Like

Yes, there is something strange happening, we’re investigating. This is happening to rendered meshes as well as cages?

2 Likes

Yep, this happens to both sadly.

1 Like

I’ve never worked with cage meshes, but are cage mesh Vertices supposed to be joined to the vertices around them (with tris)?
Is it possible you have multiple vertices created at the same locations?
What happens if you select all vertices, then go to the Mesh tool tab and select Clean up, then select Merge by Distance (maybe change the distance to something like .003 instead of .0001).

1 Like

I did a lot of stuff with mesh before doing bug report, and this one I did too. So, no any overlaping vertex.

1 Like