Calculating X and Y Coordinates and Handling Scaling in Roblox Studio for UI Placement, Including ImageLabels with Crop and Fit Configuration

I want to gain a comprehensive understanding of how to calculate X and Y coordinates accurately and handle scaling in Roblox Studio for precise UI placement. This includes UI elements and ImageLabels with Crop and Fit configuration. My goal is to overcome the challenges faced when transitioning from Figma, where resolution and positioning are visually represented, to Roblox Studio’s more complex system.

I am encountering difficulties in positioning UI elements and handling scaling in Roblox Studio, making it tough to achieve the same level of precision as in Figma. The process of calculating X and Y coordinates is complex, and understanding how scaling affects UI elements and images, especially with Crop and Fit configuration, is challenging.

I have attempted to position UI elements using Roblox Studio’s drag-and-drop method, but it doesn’t yield accurate results, particularly when dealing with scaling and Crop/Fit for ImageLabels. I have also searched for tutorials and documentation on the Developer Hub, but the available resources lack in-depth guidance on these specific issues.

Additional Details:

• I not only need to calculate X and Y coordinates accurately but also understand how scaling affects the size and positioning of UI elements.
  • Scaling is crucial for maintaining the visual integrity of UI designs when transitioning from Figma to Roblox Studio.
  • The complexity increases further when handling images with Crop and Fit configuration within ImageLabels.
  • I want to know how to replicate the resolution and positioning I see in Figma accurately on Roblox Studio’s canvas.

I am seeking detailed explanations, step-by-step guides, and visual aids to help me master the process of calculating X and Y coordinates accurately and understand how scaling impacts UI elements and ImageLabels with Crop and Fit configuration in Roblox Studio. Your valuable assistance in overcoming these challenges would be highly appreciated. Thank you for your support and guidance!

4 Likes

In this post I briefly covered scale, so please use the visuals, information, and tips in that post while I build off what I said in this reply…

First off I don’t quite understand what you mean by “especially with Crop and Fit configuration”- (So for more details in that regard please build off what you were saying) as for the most part scaling is the same, when you encounter difficult scenarios ‘Constraints’ can be used to help you out.

InitlizationHypothetical

Say you creating a button in figma, the dimensions of said button are 200x55.

Setup

1.)

What I personally like to do is to navigate to my device emulator, go to the ‘Average Laptop, 1920x1080’ screen.

2.)

Insert a ScreenGui into ‘StarterGui’

3.)

Then, insert an ImageButton into your ‘ScreenGui’.

By default the ImageButton’s size should be 100x100, in offset.

What I like to do is to set that size (in offset) to whatever the dimensions of the image I’m Importing is for example I would set the size of the ImageButton to {0 -scale, 200 -offset, 0 -scale, 55 -offset}

By the way, you do not need to type in size with brackets when directly editing the property.

Then, navigate to the properties of the ImageButton and actually upload my image the visual integrity is maintained.

Now the problem is scaling it for devices,

As I iterated in the post the best, most efficient way to do this is using this plugin I will still go over how scaling works at the comprehensive level but it makes no sense what so ever, to spend your time doing the rather complicated math when there a free resource, a tool that does it for you.

Scaling with AutoScale Lite

1.)

Ensure the UI element in question is selected, in this case it will be the ImageButton example from earlier…

2.)

Click Unit Conversion on the plugin.

3.)

As roblox sets positing to scale by default no need to worry about that, click ‘Scale’ in the ‘Size’ Row:

4.)

Now we can see that the ImageButton is scaled, while its offset values are 0, still maintaining the correct dimensions at 1920x1080 screen display and button dimensions of 200x55:

That’s how to scale, with AutoScale Lite, in a nutshell, I will now go into the comprehensive part of scaling.

What really is scale?

Scale is a bit of a tricky subject, so bare with me.

Scale operates on values 0-1, 1 being the entire length or width of the parents display -depending on if its scale x, or scale y.

When I say scale I mean regardless of size or positing. Ill give you an example.

Example

This frames position is {0.5 ,0 ,0 ,0}

Frame:

That positioning is scale, operating on the 0-1 we talked about earlier. Essentially, its halfway in between; ‘.5’. The X scale value Isn’t quite 0 which would have it at the total left corner, and isnt quite 1, which would place it at the far right, its the exact same thing with the Y axis.

X value at 0: (SCALE) – Position in the photo {0, 0, 0 ,0}

X value at 1: (SCALE) – Position in the photo {1, 0, 0, 0}

Y Axis

The positioning works the exact same way on the Y axis, it’s just on a different axis, lol.

Y Scale at .5, Position = {0, 0, 0.5, 0}:

Again illustrated by this photo, its halfway in-between, not quite 1 at the bottom left and not quite 0 back at the top left.

Y value at 0: (SCALE) – Position in the photo {0, 0, 0 ,0}:

Y value at 1: (SCALE) – Position in the photo {0, 0, 0, 0}:

Combining the two…

Now that we have an understanding of single axis positiing scale, lets combind the two to center this frame in this screen. Do note, anchor point is at (0.5, 0.5) I will go over that in another reply if needed.

X & Y value at 0.5: (SCALE) – Position in the photo {0.5, 0, 0.5 ,0}: –Anchor point at (0.5,0.5) also!!

Now we have a perfect center in the frame relative to screen size.

That concludes the Scale positing section of this reply, It is very important to take note that the scale values aren’t limited to 0-1. Simply a range you want to stay in assuming you want your UI on the players screen. Its perfectly possible and okay to go higher or lower that number range.

Size Scaling

Size scaling works the same way but gets more complicated the more descendants you have.

For example

I’m going to set this frames Size to {0.5, 0, 0.5, 0} after I do this I will be “re-setting” the postiion to {0.5, 0, 0.5, 0} -Center*

This will set the frames size half as large as the width and half as large as the height. As the players screen is the supposed ‘Parent’

As we can see the frame is the correct size a direct half (To the pixel) of 1920x1080

1920/2 = 960
1920 * .5 = 960

Frame X size (in pixels) = 959. Sometimes roblox will get it off by a pixel or so

1080/2 = 540
1080*.5 = 540

Same process with frames inside or frames, its relative to the ‘parent container’ thats what scale is.

Hopefully you see where this is going As this reply is getting very very long I’m going to break it here, don’t hesitate to follow up if your lacking understanding of certain aspects of this or would like to see other UI element/properties gone over. I’m always happy to help!

Happy Devving!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.