Call to Action: Need Repro Steps on Studio Scripting Performance Issues

Not a performance issue, but right after opening a new place with team create + collaborative editing are on, starting to edit a script for the first time makes you lose focus of the editor when a new draft shows up. You then have to click in your editor with your mouse to regain focus which is pretty annoying.

Also, the default open view tabs of studio are weird. If I go in studio playtest and turn on the microprofiler in-game, it automatically makes it pop up every time I open studio, and you have to do a playtest and turn it off in-game to prevent that from happening again. Same applies to the other views tabs of studio that appear when opening multiple test clients in studio, some tabs that I barely open just show up for no reason. Having to turn these off in every playtest makes playtesting quite a chore.

1 Like

Alright, that’s good then. Still sucks when my studio crashes because of a “docking error” or the script editor lags in a script with 500 lines (thankfully I use VSCode)

I find the biggest issues with the script editor arise when I am working on a game that has a lot going on in the background (ie a lot of instances in the workspace) and I’m working on a long script

I can’t share the full game publicly for obvious reasons but I will send a PM to bug-files: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/game/2313730

In my case the autocomplete is in my opinion somewhat significantly delayed, so is text colouring, thus it causes me to sometimes select the wrong thing, or I select nothing at all and I end up typing a tab despite autocomplete being there at the time I press tab

Repro:
1- Open place file
2- Open up called PhysicsHandler in StarterGui > ClientModules > ClientInitializer
3- Type something that causes text to get recoloured a lot (such as methods)
4- Observe there are a significant amount of frames in which text is not recoloured appropriately and that the autocomplete does not appear for a reasonable amount of time

Specs:
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070Ti
48GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon graphics @ 3.90GHz

3 Likes

I have a new issue where pasting code or sometimes autofilling will cause the red lines to underline the wrong things:

In this case, ‘p’ is an unknown variable, but the red line appears 3 characters to the right.

In this case, it hasn’t updated properly while typing and thinks this is an incomplete statement.

In addition to this, the autofill suggestions are delayed and sometimes when I press ‘enter’ to choose what it currently suggests, it will fill in with something different or disappear.

In this example, I am trying to reference a folder in the workspace named GameStuff. As I type it, it shows up after a brief delay, then as I get close to the end I press ‘enter’ to confirm the autofill but it vanishes and I accidentally return a new line.

This specific module script is very long, 3.8k lines with 100 functions or so.)

3 Likes

Have you encountered some bugs with the multi-cursor beta? Please let us know, your feedback is important before we roll it out to more users :pray:

I enabled the feature expecting no issues, and I was correct. There’s no issues on my end.

This is the only performance issue I’m currently having (although it’s probably not related to the script editor):

I can confirm that whenever I edit a script with more than 600 - 700 lines, the script delays 0.3~0.5 seconds when calling methods. Seems to work well with scripts containing < 500 lines.

1 Like

I think Studio’s script editor works far better than any other IDE out there, at least from my experience (and this is referring to exclusively use in Roblox). However, I do agree that it would be useful for Roblox to extend to external IDEs. For my personal use, I occasionally find myself wanting to write a script, yet I don’t want to open the entirety of Studio to do so, because it does take an amount of time to load that would otherwise not be needed for a simple external script editor.

In short, it would be nice to have an IDE that contains everything that Roblox’s script editor contains (including auto-complete and guessed value types, including those guessed from common services). Basically the same thing as Roblox Studio’s script editor, minus the rest of the engine. I’m sure others would also like some sort of connectivity to be possible between the external IDE and a Roblox project as well.

Although, one final thing I would like, and this goes for both an external or internal IDE, the ability for proper collaborative script editing where you can see the edits live while typing. This might be a very niche feature, but I think it would help with live education, both in class and online.

But with all of that said, I do still think Roblox’s script editor is more than enough at this point in time. I’m excited to see these performance improvements. I rarely have any issues except in the rare cases where I’m dealing with massive scripts (which are usually just json), of which sometimes have tens of thousands of lines (one even almost having 100k lines). Loading said scripts is fine, but editing them at all is very rough and time consuming.

Weird. I have worked in scripts around 700-900 lines and have had no lag whatsoever.

In all fairness, my workspace is fairly empty, which may be why it isn’t laggy.

Update, this also happens with a short script, but it worsens with a long script. The biggest factor seems to be how many instances are in the workspace.

Hi, how many scripts are in your game?

Thank you for your report! You can send me the game or maybe details about the game…

Hi, yes I’ve linked a DM which I sent to bug files which contains the game’s rbxl file, or if you want a link to the game it’s here: [👾BOSS!] No Jumping Difficulty Chart Obby - Roblox

Here’s the link to the DM again
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/game/2313730

I can also send a message to you specifically with the .rbxl file if you’d like.

From counts, currently 106 Scripts, 28 LocalScripts and 64 ModuleScripts.
i usually dont have more than 4 or 5 open at any given time.

1 Like

Thank you! I don’t have access to that thread, unfortunately; I would appreciate it if you sent me the file.

I have sent you a private message

I got the file, thank you so much! We’re looking at it…

1 Like

Hi, did you file a separate bug on this? Search not updating when using the mouse wheel to scroll to an earlier search, then updating to a new list when clicking is a bug.

It is impossible for anybody to report any bugs to roblox unless you’ve been given exclusive permission to post in #bug-reports.

I have not been given that permission.

Thank you for the report, I filed a bug for this.

1 Like