Calling GetPlayingAnimationTracks on a Humanoid can completely break replication of any animations

Description:

If GetPlayingAnimationTracks is locally called on a Humanoid object, this causes replication of any animations loaded afterwards to only show on the local client, and not replicate to the server and by extension nor to other clients.

I had to waste about 12 hours of development time tracking down this issue, because this is a completely silent issue and even breaks replication when nothing is done to the animation tracks. Even just calling the GetPlayingAnimationTracks method will cause replication to break.

Minimal repro:
GetPlayingAnimationTracks_broken_repro.rbxl (13.8 KB)

This is a minimal repro (baseplate with a couple of really small scripts) that I obtained by stripping down by game until I found the line causing the issue.

There are four relevant objects:

• DoBug: just a boolean value to easily turn on/off the occurrence of the bug while playing (it will not do a GetPlayingAnimationTracks call on CharacterAdded when this is set to false)
  • Animator (server): a small script that adds a CollectionService tag to all Humanoids that enter workspace.
  • Animate (client): starter character script that just plays a looping animation on the client’s character. This is intentionally as simple as possible. The animation track is reused, not reloaded every time.
  • Animator (client): a small script that, when DoBug.Value == true, will call GetPlayingAnimationTracks on every Humanoid in the game that obtains the CollectionService tag given by Animator (server).

Relevant code of Animator (client) that causes the bug:

(...)

local function processAnimator(animator)
	if DoBug.Value then
		print("Doing the bug by calling GetAnimationTracks")
		animator:GetPlayingAnimationTracks() -- not even doing anything with tracks...
	end
end

(...)

Repro steps:

• Open the file above
  • Press Play (Accurate Play Solo)
  • Observe that the character has an animation on the client
  • Change the view to Server (next to Play button while playing)
  • Observe that the character is not correctly animated on the server (and by extension, not animated on other clients)

• Turn ReplicatedStorage.DoBug.Value to false
  • Go back to Client view (next to Play button while playing)
  • Reset your character (Esc > R)
  • Observe that the character has an animation on client
  • Change the view to Server (next to Play button while playing)
  • Observe that, now that GetPlayingAnimationTracks was not called, the animation correctly replicates to the server (and by extension, animated on other clients too)

Unexpected behavior:

Calling GetPlayingAnimationTracks locally can sometimes break replication of animations to the server for that Humanoid/AnimationController object.

Expected behavior:

Whether or not I call GetPlayingAnimationTracks or do anything with the tracks locally, this should never break replication to the server of that Humanoid/AnimationController object.

Additional information:

Studio version: 0. 360. 3. 253053

Happens both in live games as well as Studio instances (Play Solo / Test Server + Players)

9 Likes

Update: Also happens when you use Humanoid.AnimationPlayed.

So as far as I see this means that trying to get / connect to playing animation tracks in any way is broken, they can fully break replication on the animators.

EDIT: As of January 31 this is apparently fixed (see Animator/AnimationController .Enabled property)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.