Camera Avatar Animation now enabled by default for new experiences

Reminder to self:

"When creating a new game - Turn off camera face track feature - "

ok, its been added to to my template, thanks for letting me know

4 Likes

I agree it needs rework, plus you cant remove it.

3 Likes

Have you seen the cons? Takes up more space, the controls thingy cant be fully removed.

2 Likes

Considering this only applies to new experiences, I donā€™t think this really matters, especially seeing as we can simply toggle it off. Now I do agree that I donā€™t find this feature to be appealing for the vast majority of experiences. Perhaps the answer is to be able to save default experience settings. Though maybe this is best saved for a plugin.

1 Like

Itā€™s cool that this is an available feature, but it really shouldnā€™t be enable by default, i find the camera tracking for dynamic heads really disturbing. Itā€™s mostly just people twitching their head and smiling, itā€™s really uncanny to me.

As others have mentioned, this should be an opt-in thing

WHY NOT WHEN YOU LAUNCH THE FEATURE???

Its also annoying that this is a game settings feature which is on by default when you havenā€™t even saved/published a file to roblox

1 Like

So stupid. I remember when ROBLOX was a game focused on blocks, not all this nonsense. I wonder when ROBLOX will rebrand at this point.

3 Likes

Add a way to disable this in unpublished Roblox Studio files.
There are files in which I only test certain things, and this camera, although not in the way, is a bit annoying.

6 Likes

They are trying to avoid using files and forcing cloud content which is really annoying. I remember a bit ago where I couldnā€™t even open files, they removed it from the menu.

Local files are so damn useful in many ways. I use them a lot.

Probably more frequently than a published place since itā€™s just better when it comes to quickly doing things or making stuff and I sometimes have inconsistent or slower internet which will cause issues when saving.

Cloud files are also just much slower to save, and lets not get onto how damn slow working on a team create experience feels atm

1 Like

I donā€™t know the data on how many games / players are actually wanting features like this. However, just as a developer who has been here for almost 10 years, there are SO MANY more things that Roblox should be focusing on. I apprecaite new features and if its something the data shows people are really wanting, then even better. But surely some attention could be spent on things we have been promised, such as surface appearance color tinting, terrain scenery, custom textures (that do not overwrite), lighting leaking problems, inventory display issues on the web site, and many other things that have been issues for years. Or even give us something new to help with development. For one, a canvas that can have pixels plotted and read from.

4 Likes

Comparing avatar emotes to camera tracking is wild not only does emotes have a ui that can be hidden but also looks good while the camera tracking has a crappy ui that canā€™t be hidden and takes up screen space.

For a company that ā€œpowers imaginationā€ yā€™all sure as hell couldnā€™t care about our opinions.

Why not make it opt-in? Why must we ALWAYS opt-out of a feature made by people who donā€™t know what we want?

So help me god if yall release another feature with the BARE MINIMUM MISSING then Iā€™m gonna go crazy!

2 Likes

im discontent with just their updates, but what can we do about it bro :sob:

Bug: The camera bubble over the head interferes with existing UI functionality. For example, if you overlap a TextButton on the same spot as the bubble, then the bubble takes precedence, and the TextButton does not work.

1 Like

This is actually being worked on! Itā€™s called EditableImage (used to be called DynamicImage) and should be released soon!

2 Likes

Oh wow, thanks for the info, I had not heard anything about this. Hope they get it out, that would be amazing!

Cool. Iā€™ll be turning this off immediately. This is unacceptable unless Iā€™m specifically designing a metaverse type of experience. Not all games are social metaverse events.

2 Likes

The writing was on the wall to see this pushed and, this looks like it took a while to implement.

I completely disagree with this feature / decision but, I do respect the team that took the time to write this in the platform. I know that sometimes, even for engineers, the decision is not yours to make and youā€™re just doing your jobs.

That being said, I get where Roblox is heading and probably saw a unique opportunity with the pandemic + metaverse but, I donā€™t think that the majority of people / players want this. And to be fair, this only creates more static / noise to navigate for developers.

Part of why I am on this platform is because I can make things quick anonymously. No other platform gives me the resources to go from absolutely nothing to a AAA game in record time.

Ideally, Iā€™d love to continue doing that with the least amount of static / noise as possible.

Admittedly, I donā€™t have the data to back it up and I really just speak for myself.

1 Like

I meaaaan think about it this way, if youre discontent with something, then surely you can find your own way to combat/counter it. For me, Im plotting a protest against Roblox, since Im more on the extreme side but, honestly what will it take for people to recognise that this pattern will keep repeating itself unless it is broken by forceā€¦

agree, i remember the protest topic, i actually think thatā€™s a decent idea, we gotta keep fighting until they listen to us. how else will they get the message