Camera forced to center when in VehicleSeat

At approximately 1:35 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) I pushed out an update to this game and shut down all servers to ensure they were up to date. As the players started to rejoin the game, they started to report issues with the camera while in the vehicles in game. We (the developers of the game) started to investigate the matter. We immediately tried to find the roots to the unintended camera behavior; however, we came to realize none of us had changed anything related to VehicleSeats nor camera. Along with our players saying they experienced the same issue outside of our game, we were also able to replicate the weird camera behavior in other games.

When the camera in a VehicleSeat behaves normally, you are able to hold down the right mouse button and move freely and it will remain in the last position in a couple of seconds before slowly centering. This behavior is still in studio. This can be demonstrated here. Nevertheless, since an unknown time (but believed started to occur around 1:35 PM EST as we had other shutdowns earlier today without encountering the issue) this behavior has changed drastically. Instead the camera will now immediately start to center when you hold down right mouse button, this can be seen here. To eliminate the possibility of fault at our end itā€™s the exact same VehicleSeat weā€™ve used to demonstrate with ingame as in studio.

This is a specific bug related to the VehicleSeat, regular seats does not have this issue. To reproduce simply place a VehicleSeat in any baseplate or game and play (issue does not exist in studio). I have been able to replicate this issue 100% of the time (on a side note only been able to test on newer servers).

A current workaround for this issue is to enable the shift-lock camera behavior while in a VehicleSeat, this is what I personally recommend in order to give the players as smooth as possible game experience while this problem persists.

We have been unable to find any announcement indicating that this would be an intended change of camera behavior and we therefore assume this is a bug.

70 Likes

I am also having this issue. Itā€™s like the camera is immediately being shot back to center. It is very annoying.

14 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Feedback - Replying to Bug Reports

As my game revolves around driving trains, this is pretty annoying when you cant rotate your camera.

10 Likes

I am also have this issue as well, especially in my games as well.

I think this bug has been around for like 2-3 years already, since I have been experiencing this before as well.

6 Likes

While this should not be used as a permanent fix, place this (PlayerModule) like so:
ForkedPlayerModule.rbxm (109.0 KB)

It appears the new behavior is just a way more aggressive version of the old behavior. Rather than waiting a few seconds to bring the camera back to the third person view from behind, itā€™s trying to fight against your camera movement immediately.

21 Likes

Okay, so maybe Iā€™m not insane! Same here. New to developing for Roblox. Have spent hours trying all manner of reverting to old versions, uninstalling-reinstalling Studio and Player, re-booting, re-publishing, searching code (the word ā€œCameraā€ is not in any of my code) and searching online. Couldnā€™t figure out setting I may have inadvertently changed/corrupted. Lucky me that I became a Dev Forum Member yesterday!

Thank you for posting @Tor_Laws. I will have to try the @GeorgeTheAccelerator module.

7 Likes

I thought this was a new Roblox update for the VehicleSeat, itā€™s rather frustrating and I hope this is not permanent.

6 Likes

@Tor_Laws ok, so i liked the old camera behavior it was simple, and easy to drive but now its hard to drive to see whose next to u, please put back the old camera behavior and save us the lack of stress of driving on simulators!..

4 Likes

gonna be that guyā€¦ how did this get to live?

6 Likes

We are looking into this issue and will follow-up as soon as possible.

18 Likes

My game revolves around tractors and other vehicles, we have also been experiencing this issue

7 Likes

We will have a fix going out shortly. We have been refactoring the camera scripts (as a separate project) so things like this donā€™t happen going forward.

31 Likes

This was a bug?
I thought it was a feature, but it was a very annoying one. Glad to know it was fixed.

5 Likes

Having the same issues when I develop / play games. The Camera forces the seat to re-align to the centre and doesnā€™t allow the player to move it like it did before. Roblox needs to fix the camera scripts as soon as possible as games require many vehicle scripts with flexible camera angles to be able to project the potential that it can with this feature.

3 Likes

Yes definitely a bug and not desirable behavior.

6 Likes

Ditto in my game. Confirmed also in studio same behavior.

Another odd tidbit I donā€™t know if anyone mentioned, it affects horizontal ā€˜look aroundā€™ by quickly returning, It affects vertical look-around by not snapping back to center at all even after a delay.

This is also a problem in my game. As the vehicles are ships that would require a wide range of cameras to drive, I cannot accept that. I hope the roblox staff will fix this as soon as possible.
Thanks!

2 Likes

This bug should be very high priority. Yet, itā€™s been a day and the camera is still completely broken when driving, and lots of games rely on vehicle seats and cameras. I donā€™t think this is receiving enough importance.

3 Likes

This is getting a little concerning on how long this bug is taking to be fixed considering how important driver seats are to games, my game relies exactly on driver seats.

1 Like