Camera & Navigation Improvements [Beta]

They really could have just opted for Alt + Scroll Wheel, RMB + Scroll is so awkward

42 Likes

Yes, they need to add this to the keybinds section of the settings so you can change it to whatever you want.

They also should really change the combination anyways because this is probably the worst combination they could come up with. Trying to look around and zoom? Sike, now your camera is as fast as lightning.

21 Likes

dont like this. i usually scroll to move, so this gets in my way from navigating quickly from places

32 Likes

LMAO I had this feature before its release because of this bug

The problem I described was the use of right-click to rotate the camera while using the mousewheel to navigate, and the fact that now it modifies the camera speed

8 Likes

This is really awesome, especially for the frame rate changes. I can finally use fps unlockers without having my camera speed fluctuate like crazy! (though the rbxfpsunlocker might’ve broke for me this update lol)

As @VGVC2 mentioned, I also rely on looking around with my camera while zooming with the scroll wheel. Is there any way to make it where an additional key has to be held down as well, like Ctrl, to change the speed?

Also, the F to focus changes are neat, but one issue - I cannot move my camera around while it’s in the middle of zooming. I could immediately feel this friction. I also do feel a delayed lag spike after it finishes lerping, I don’t have any plugins enabled.

Here’s the labels that keep popping up -

7 Likes

This has been highly disruptive to my workflow. Can you consider changing it to something like alt + scroll wheel? I am constantly holding right click in order to move, and scrolling to zoom.

25 Likes

I agree with this strongly. Immediately noticed how this disrupts my usual scroll wheel to jump navigation workflow. Also, the frame drops while adjusting camera speed are incredibly disruptive.

Please consider taking on the alt+scroll wheel hotkey!

17 Likes

Really not sure why it was opted to use RMB+SCROLL to change the zoom speed. Many developers, including myself, use these keybinds in combination to zoom & fly around our maps, and now, with this update, it is impossible to do so. It is a nice feature, just have it on another keybind such as ALT+RMB+SCROLL or, allow us to customise the keybind.

Other than this, I think this update is pretty neat apart from the frequent framerate drops when focussing on a part, or with some of the other reported issues under this thread.

17 Likes

mailbox
(EDIT: Apparently, the ROBLOX staff member who posted this also liked this)

62 Likes

Please, revert this update. This is extremely unintuitive to someone who has had experience with Roblox studio since 2014. This change has been incredibly disruptive to my team and I’s workflow to the point where you just don’t want to open studio anymore. It also breaks parity with the Roblox Player and will be disruptive to any new developer who comes into the field from playing Roblox games.

Please do not implement this change in its current state. Something like an alt+scroll would be much better for those who aren’t interested in constantly changing their camera speed.

32 Likes

This is really getting in my way, and it’s such a pain

17 Likes

Can the camera not randomly decide what speed it should be at? This is incredibly annoying.

12 Likes

Dislike this as it has mess up my development flow big time. Is Studio Staff going to make it so it can be an option and not force?

12 Likes

For all of the people wishing the update to be “reverted”, keep in mind this is a beta feature.
You can disable it in File > Beta Features > New Studio Camera Controls while we wait for changes to be made!

21 Likes

Good update, but as others already mentioned the shortcut should be changed.

I previously had issues with camera panning when running studio on Linux. I know this probably wasn’t taken into consideration, but interested in trying it out again to see if it’s fixed now. Probably had to do with unstable framerate.

6 Likes

Linux isn’t supported, so I doubt they will sort it :frowning:

3 Likes

Heads up to everyone that doesn’t like this update and gives decontructive feedback:

It’s a beta feature for a reason. It’s not supposed to be perfect right now. Would you prefer it as a fully released feature that can’t be reverted?

9 Likes

Can it that you click the scrolling wheel toggle it since I have a mouse a scroll and rotate the camera and pick a part and rotate my camera and move the part it destroy my workflow

3 Likes

Cool and all. Weird that 1 is 60 studs per second in movement speed.

I actually like this update. Saves a lot of time when moving.

Little point to this when in version 591 rbxfpsunlocker broke. I’ll have to switch to something different.

Why do so many people not want the camera to go faster when scrolling while looking around? It’s better than the mouse wheel zoom in my opinion.

3 Likes

Can second the alt+scroll suggestion for changing camera speed. Did Roblox do user testing for this decision? The trick with scrolling to zoom is a very deeply ingrained muscle memory for a vast majority of developers with deep roots into various workflow details such as quickly moving models large distances, moving a large distance quickly but for a very short time, etc. I will be constantly changing my camera speed by accident.

Is this something in the hotkey map that can be changed? If not changing the default, it would be nice for this option to exist.

It’s bizarre that Roblox made these cool zoom to mouse location improvements a few years ago, and now a few years later they’re making it impossible to zoom towards your mouse position if you’re also trying to move the camera around. Bad synergy.

Also I just want to mention that since yesterday I’ve been noticing once in a while the camera in Studio gets stuck and I cannot right click to rotate it anymore. I have to delete the camera in workspace to fix it. Not sure the cause yet.

Other than that, looks super slick! Very nice improvements.

23 Likes