Camera & Navigation Improvements [Beta]

For all of the people wishing the update to be “reverted”, keep in mind this is a beta feature.
You can disable it in File > Beta Features > New Studio Camera Controls while we wait for changes to be made!

21 Likes

Good update, but as others already mentioned the shortcut should be changed.

I previously had issues with camera panning when running studio on Linux. I know this probably wasn’t taken into consideration, but interested in trying it out again to see if it’s fixed now. Probably had to do with unstable framerate.

6 Likes

Linux isn’t supported, so I doubt they will sort it :frowning:

3 Likes

Heads up to everyone that doesn’t like this update and gives decontructive feedback:

It’s a beta feature for a reason. It’s not supposed to be perfect right now. Would you prefer it as a fully released feature that can’t be reverted?

9 Likes

Can it that you click the scrolling wheel toggle it since I have a mouse a scroll and rotate the camera and pick a part and rotate my camera and move the part it destroy my workflow

3 Likes

Cool and all. Weird that 1 is 60 studs per second in movement speed.

I actually like this update. Saves a lot of time when moving.

Little point to this when in version 591 rbxfpsunlocker broke. I’ll have to switch to something different.

Why do so many people not want the camera to go faster when scrolling while looking around? It’s better than the mouse wheel zoom in my opinion.

3 Likes

Can second the alt+scroll suggestion for changing camera speed. Did Roblox do user testing for this decision? The trick with scrolling to zoom is a very deeply ingrained muscle memory for a vast majority of developers with deep roots into various workflow details such as quickly moving models large distances, moving a large distance quickly but for a very short time, etc. I will be constantly changing my camera speed by accident.

Is this something in the hotkey map that can be changed? If not changing the default, it would be nice for this option to exist.

It’s bizarre that Roblox made these cool zoom to mouse location improvements a few years ago, and now a few years later they’re making it impossible to zoom towards your mouse position if you’re also trying to move the camera around. Bad synergy.

Also I just want to mention that since yesterday I’ve been noticing once in a while the camera in Studio gets stuck and I cannot right click to rotate it anymore. I have to delete the camera in workspace to fix it. Not sure the cause yet.

Other than that, looks super slick! Very nice improvements.

23 Likes

Exactly the way I move through studio as well.
This would totally make my editing suffer, if I can’t hold right mouse, while scrolling.

6 Likes

Yeah it’s a horrible implementation, but for now you can disable it (which is what I did)

11 Likes

What.

This should probably be reworded, I assume it was meant to say “if you don’t have a scroll wheel” or something like that, since how is someone going to click on the tooltip if they dont have a mouse

Generally I dont really like this. I like that you can change camera speed, but I wish mouse wheel functionality remained the same. I dont really know how you could keep both of them, but it would be the best case scenario.

4 Likes

I didn’t even notice that lol. I wish studio supported camera movement without a mouse.

3 Likes

I dont see why this couldnt be a thing. With the numpad maybe? Pretty sure there was a plugin for this.

2 Likes

Well, maybe not, since they did used to have non-mouse support for the player, but they removed it in favor of the crappy emotes menu.

2 Likes

For some reason this beta setting got automatically turned on for me… must say it was quite confusing. To anyone else who felt like this was forced on them, its actually toggleable in beta features!
Edit: It got toggled on because I’m enrolled in the beta channel. Mystery solved!

That said, this feature really messes with my workflow. Changing camera speed with the right mouse button is really disruptive. I hold that button down almost constantly while moving my camera, because it controls my current view. I use the scroll wheel to quickly get closer to something while moving my camera. I don’t want my camera speed to increase, I just want to zoom in quick.

Furthermore, something in this change has made rotating my camera extremely sensitive. The tiniest mouse movement is spinning my camera around. This is really frustrating as there is no way to turn down rotation speed. This is probably the biggest problem with this feature. I can relearn a shortcut keybind… but I can’t work with the turn speed like this.

I had to disable this feature for now. I like having the option to change my camera speed while working instead of running into settings (plus all the other new features) but its currently unusable due to the camera speed shortcut placement and the uncontrollable camera rotation speed.

8 Likes

Bro THANK YOU this update is AMAZING.

3 Likes

Thank you :pray:!
I had to reverse engineer the previous camera behavior to work around it lol.

3 Likes

Just went into studio and was very confused by this until I noticed this announcement.
Instantly disabled the beta feature because RMB+Scroll was the easiest and fastest way to get around.

Please Roblox, don’t take this out of beta without a keybinds menu. Suddenly altering the camera controls so drastically is a surefire way to destroy a lot of workflows.

9 Likes

Besides everything already mentioned by others, I do think the camera speed should be editable by double clicking on its box. Because right now it’s finicky and tedious getting desired speed numbers.

3 Likes

Oh my, please revert this as soon as possible…

Just to reiterate on some points and add others:

• Changing camera speed with RMB and mouse wheel is a combination that we already use to move around.
  • The speed gizmo is hidden behind something unrelated (the view selector button?). It should most definitely be a text box too and not a tiny super unprecise click drag (and it should be logarithmic too).
  • You can’t move the camera if you hit Run in studio.
  • Your cursor gets stuck if you’re moving with the RMB and change tab.
  • This one seems fixed now, but you couldn’t move on the view plane with the middle mouse button click, and then zoom ever after, until you deleted the camera to reset it.
  • Performance is sus, something’s wrong with the framerate when changing the speed with the mouse wheel.

I’m all for improvements to the camera, it’s definitely a great QoL update… but this isn’t the way to do it. Also, please don’t toggle beta features on automatically as they release, especially not when the feature is core to the Roblox Studio experience.

(ps. sorry crazedbrick1, didn’t mean to reply to you lol)

11 Likes

^regarding the topic of RMB for speed changes brought up in these threads and others: we appreciate this feedback, and we understand the workflow disruption that this causes. We’re looking into ways to preserve some of these workflows. I’ll be sure to update the thread when we have more information!

22 Likes