Camera Pan and Zoom to Mouse Position

Hey Developers,

We recently made two major improvements to how you interact and move around in Studio.

First, we added Zoom to Mouse Position. This will allow you to fly around 3D space and zoom to wherever your cursor is located on the screen. This feature is on by default. It’s so natural, you won’t even notice.

If you wish to disable this and revert to the old behavior, go to Settings > Studio > Camera

Finally, but certainly not least… we have added Camera Panning. While in Studio, you can now use the middle mouse button to pan in the scene to your heart’s content.

FAQ

Q: Are you doing more improvements???
A: Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas…

Huge shout out to @programeow and @ArgentAspect for making this happen! Let us know what you think below.

119 Likes

The “Camera Zoom to Mouse Position” setting was disabled for me by default, and doesn’t seem to work now that I’ve enabled it. Does it require a studio restart? I’m in Team Create, if that makes a difference.

Edit: working after a restart. Cool feature!

13 Likes

The only words I can say to this is: Thank you!

2 Likes

Would be neat if we could pan across a certain axis by pressing shift or a key similar to that.

23 Likes

noticed this feature as i worked as i am used to Blender’s panning feature (and i happened to try to pan by mistake!) great feature!

4 Likes

I love this so much!

Panning was long-needed, especially considering how standard it is in other 3D toolkits.

2 Likes

When I was learning Unreal Engine, I noticed this behavior by accident, and noticed Roblox didn’t have it when I tried it. Glad to see it got added natively.

3 Likes

Should have said Easter smh. The Easter Bunny won’t be happy.

Good update!

3 Likes

This seems like a well-needed change, and it will be very beneficial in development. Thanks!

3 Likes

I second this. It would be very nice to lock to a specific axis

4 Likes

Seems beneficial will have to check it out later. :+1:

1 Like

I thought this was a bug at first! After giving it a try, I REALLY like the middle mouse click to move. I can get around much easier on large maps. The zoom for mouse position messes me up a bit so I turned it off. I must be old school! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Is there a way to disable the panning?

I’m used to middle mouse button as my camera rotation button

9 Likes

Roblox’s like that one uncle that gives you Christmas gifts 3 months too late. Another amazing update! Keep it up!!

3 Likes

At first, the Zoom to Mouse Position really disoriented me so I turned it off. But the Camera Pan is a great feature.

2 Likes

I thought this was a bug at first, But I like the update.

1 Like

Amazing update, though I am having one issue I’m not sure if it’s personal and it’s my system or the same happens for everyone

during panning the mouse icon stutters, and the faster you go the greater the stutter

though it is a minor issue, it still bothers me as it looks choppy anyone else experiencing this?

4 Likes

This is a really great addition!

There are things you could improve:

Make the icon a little smaller, currently it kinda feels weird with my cursor size to something that looks bigger than my current cursor. It probably is just on my end.

The cursor itself also feels choppy when panning as it flickers a bit trying to keep up with the camera. The panning itself however feels nice.

You could also remove the cursor entirely if that is an option, like the one presented on your gif example. Most programs such as blender don’t really rely on having different cursors to show what the player is doing. This is probably because the player is aware of what input they are pressing or touching.

Could you also include an option to invert the pan direction on the horizontal and vertical movement? Some users prefer to move the mouse left to pan the camera going left.

5 Likes

I’d like an option to disable camera panning and ideally the ability to uninvert the camera controls added, I’ve never been a massive fan of left going right and vice versa.

2 Likes

I had the same issue

1 Like