Camera Veers to Right (When Holding Right Mouse and Dragging in Any Direction)

Reproduction Steps

This problem is a very complicated but also very unfortunate problem to deal with so bear with the very complicatedly explained reproduction. I use very repetitive words and object noting to make it as clear and understandable as possible.

Minimal System Information: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz

Beta Features Enabled: CSG Version 3, Intuitive Debugger, Save rig with Animation

Using a HP Laptop (Pro) with Windows 10 and a touchpad (may not be reproduced with a mouse), open Studio and edit any place. With the camera facing in any corner direction (but horizontally), drag your finger straight down or up on the touchpad (while holding right click to adjust the camera). If the camera doesn’t angle/spiral towards the right, reverse the drag steps and drag the camera back to horizonal and turn the camera angle slightly towards the right a few degrees (estimated) and repeat these steps until the camera veers/spirals/angles towards the right when dragging straight downward/upwards or on the touchpad.

It not only happens when dragging straight up or down, but also happens when even the slightest movement on the touchpad is made while adjusting the camera.

Expected Behavior

When the camera is facing in any angle, what I expect to happen when I hold the right click and drag the touchpad in the direction that I want the camera to direct toward it should ONLY go/angle in that direction and not go veering/spiraling/angling to the right when dragging and adjusting the camera straight down or up on my touchpad, or for that matter in any direction.

Actual Behavior

As you can see in the video, It depends on your camera’s angle. In the video, the first wiggles/adjustments of the camera back and forth was to show what it’s supposed to look like without the spiral effect. Right after that, you can see my first attempt at dragging down slowly to re-create this problem didn’t work at that angle (that means this is what the normal controls of adjusting the camera do without the spiral effect). The moment I released the camera adjustment (right mouse dragging), and re-dragged the camera the problem occurred and you can see the camera angle veering to the right. It also did it again many times after, with some failed occurrences off and on. Lastly, the final couple seconds of the video of what appeared to be me dragging the camera downward in a spiral motion was actually not me dragging it towards the right and in that spiral angle, but was the distinct problem that I am dealing with of the camera spiraling to the right when dragging in any direction. Whilst my fingers was dragging straight down on the touchpad, my camera was moving in the direction of a downward spiral. Again, the same thing happens when dragging up. So if I was dragging up with my touchpad and the problem occurred, it would be in an upward spiral. It happens both to up and down and also in any direction you drag your finger if you never let go of the right touchpad click and keep dragging with the problem occuring.

Workaround

The only workaround is to release the right click on the touchpad and try dragging again in the direction that I want. If the camera still spirals, then I release the adjustment (release the right click) and repeat until the problem wont spiral the camera.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-12-02 00:12:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-12-06 00:12:00 (-05:00)

7 Likes

Thanks for the report. I filed a ticket to our internal database.

4 Likes

This might be similar to what I’m experiencing here:

2 Likes

Try this camera plugin It fixed my issue,

https://create.roblox.com/marketplace/asset/267882516/Better-Studio-Camera

1 Like

Hello, we believe this should be fixed as we made some changes to how the mouse is handled in the viewport. Let us know if the issue is still occuring.

1 Like