Ability to Smoothen Camera Movement for the default Camera

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to decode and make a system or module to smoothen the Players’ or users’ camera to become more realistic and much more of a smooth experience with the screen and possibly for cutscenes and such, i

Anyway, the ability or having inertia of making the Camera smoother inside the Engine and Client would be kind of useful to add an use for many games as it would open up a realistic camera movement or just script one with many and many lines from resources from the Hub and youtube, but some beginner developers or users who don’t have enough time or effort to do something like this is very challenging for them like me and other developers out there.

With the idea and case of making the Users’ Camera more smooth, it can make the players’ camera movement and zoom in and out would look more smooth and realistic instead of a frame by frame/position by position camera look from the players’ perspective. Some workarounds and alternatives could be to use Attach and Follow CameraTypes’ to make it a bit smoother than the Custom CameraType, and you could script your own Smooth Camera and configure it into the game.

A prototype of what SmoothCamera could look like:

Video:

^ For those who were wondering what plugin or resource that I used, it was the SmoothCamera plugin made by Crazyman32/sleitnick and it works well inside studio.

If you’re a game developer or game owner, you could do LeftShift + P to enable FreeCamera which behaves as a Smooth Camera, but only for video/picture taking and not for every user in the game, could act the same smoothness for the users’ camera movement.

If smoothening the Camera isn’t the best I thought of settings for the Camera and a CameraType Enum whenever it could get added or enabled:

• Smooth Factor.
  • Smooth Time.
  • Zoom Factor.
  • Rotation Factor.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because it will bring an excellent and ease the experience for games and studio because it will bring out some more creations and user experience for cutscenes and video making in both scenarios. This will also improve the quality of camera movements when moving the camera with the mousepad/mouse around the game and in studio.

12 Likes

You might want to title your post more properly and rewrite the introduction to follow the feature request format – currently reads as a proposed solution and it’s not immediately clear from “CameraType.SmoothCamera” what you want. I think what you are trying to ask for is “Ability to smoothen movement of / add inertia to default camera types”.

I don’t think this should be another camera type, it should be built on top of all existing camera types if anything. The properties can be set by default to produce no inertia on moving/turning and then you can modify them from there.

4 Likes