Can any other Vive users get SteamVR to stop opening?

So for any devs who have a Vive, does your SteamVR app open every time you open a Roblox game or Studio? There’s no setting in Studio to turn off VR compatibility as far as I can tell and this is beginning to drive me insane as I’ve been dealing with ever since I installed the Vive app. I’m posting here because I think it may just be Roblox forcing SteamVR to open every time.
I’ve currently done everything I can think of to get it to stop opening;
-Unchecked “Open SteamVR when an application starts”
-Unchecked “Check for Steam”
-Completely closed Steam
-Ended any tasks related to Vive/Steam
-The linkbox is completely unplugged from an outlet and my computer.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

4 Likes

I uninstall SteamVR and just reinstall when I want to play a vive game.

1 Like

Seems silly to have to uninstall it but I guess it’ll work seeing as it’s such a small program.

1 Like

You may be able to just rename the folder to trick steam into thinking it’s uninstalled.

2 Likes

FWIW this is a SteamVR bug (a regression actually) that we’re trying to get them to fix, with no luck so far:

We literally don’t have any official workarounds for this, unfortunately - the only one we had was that BIsHmdPresent and they broke it. I don’t think there’s any way to detect that Vive is plugged in otherwise because it requires enumerating USB devices which seems to require admin privileges… :frowning:

2 Likes

As a temporary fix, perhaps another button could be added under Play called “Play in VR”.

2 Likes

Yep – that does the trick. After testing your hypothesis, I made and published a program to easily enable that, which should make it much more convenient to toggle SteamVR than opening the file explorer, navigating to its install directory, and manually renaming it.

2 Likes

Im aware this thread has a solution, however an easier one is to simply unplug the Headset HDMI cable from your computer. SteamVR may open up but it wont start in vr mode.

1 Like

It’s gone to the point where closing steamvr closes roblox/ roblox studio after launching roblox opens steamvr. This is really annoying.

By the way, you don’t need to uninstall SteamVR to make this stop happening, simply unplugging the USB cable for the VIVE is good enough.

Please read the previous post before replying.
SteamVR will start even if you unplug the USB cable.

Weird, unplugging the USB cable worked on my machine image

That’s because SteamVR on your computer is an older version

(it is not, i run beta builds)

I still can’t believe this is a problem to this day.
IsHMDPresent is not a problem that you should be concerned about. I have my VR headset plugged in all the time, so yes, the HMD will be present.
Here is some incredible advice: Don’t start SteamVR if the VR setting is off. Don’t even interact with SteamVR. Don’t launch SteamVR if the setting is off.
I am tired of SteamVR opening with Roblox.
This is a problem with Roblox itself.
Other VR games that also have an incluse mode to not use VR, such as VRChat, doesn’t start SteamVR. It bothers me significantly that the developers of Roblox blame SteamVR for this.

2 Likes

This. So many VR issues could be fixed if they just launched Roblox in VR according to ONLY the toggle in settings and dropped the whitelist. What was even the point of adding a VR toggle if it doesn’t do anything?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.