Can I Improve my Tutorial Level? | PB & Jay

Intro:

Hi, I’d like feedback on my tutorial level for current project, PB & Jay. Feel free to play the game yourself, but I also provide a video of me going through the tutorial.

Video of Tutorial:

Notes:

List of things the player should learn from the tutorial. (Order of importance)
  • General movement in 3D Space
  • What do Signs do?
    • Signs can teach the player things through words, some of these signs are forced interactions and some are optional.
  • Jumping and Double Jumping
  • Coins
    • these guide the player along their journey
  • What Golden Toast are
    • the main collectible in the game
  • How to Sprint
    • lets the player move faster
  • How to Dig
    • can be used to get to some areas
  • Swimming
    • automatically done when interacting with deep water (opposed to shallow water).
  • Gliding
    • a movement mechanic for reaching more ground
The tutorial should also factor these things
  • a safe environment for player to learn in
  • general replayablity (not annoying to replay from start)
  • things, if possible, should be taught organically/naturally. That means as little text as possible.
  • do not have a slow opening. Roblox is about getting into the fun quickly.
    • I do this by letting players skip dialogue animation and low friction for when the player can walk around from pressing the play button.

A flaw I notice myself right now is that there’s no deep water in the tutorial level, only shallow water. Thus, I should add deep water somewhere to let the player get a feel for it. Or, I could postpone that learning to another world, which is what I am currently doing.

Main Question:

Do you feel as though my tutorial is good at teaching what it needs to? Where could it be improved?

3 Likes

Hi! I like the idea of your game and design, but I would recommend starting by changing the UI, the menu seems super basic and makes It feel less colorful and as bright as It should be. The tutorial Is good, and It helps understand the game well, considering that was your main question.

but for another idea, I’d recommend adding cell shading to your game, or a type of shader to help with visuals and that bright happy visual that your game gives off. Also Instead of using Roblox textures, you should make your own textures (Water, Grass, etc) I look at your game and think about things like Mario 64, or Robot 64.

Take inspiration from those games! :slight_smile:

Otherwise I’d say I like the idea of your game.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

The idea behind the UI was to make it ‘modern’ and simplistic, with a splash of color in small amounts. It should be as easy as possible to actually move around and play the game. I’ll definitely experiment with more color, especially if it doesn’t impact UX and retention.

I’m glad you think the tutorial does a good job at teaching things. Regarding shaders, Roblox is limited in this area. My main inspiration, art direction wise, closely matches the stylistic approach in Spyro’s Reignited Trilogy & the new Kao the Kangaroo game. I’ll look into making my own textures for Terrain and things, so far the rock texture is the only thing custom.

Also, I don’t feel cell shading is the direction I want to go, nor matching the early 2000s look. Mario 64 does have good level design though, albeit too linear for my liking. And, I’ll replay Robot 64 to see shortcomings and what to take inspiration from.

1 Like

Anytime man!

And I do like your inspo a lot actually, and shader’s definitely become a pain when It comes to Roblox, and hopefully, they give us the option to implement shaders later on, cause this would be a GREAT help for us developers.

I also like the IDEA of the UI, but I think Instead of using the Roblox fonts you should experiment with your own fonts and custom logos (etc.)

1 Like

I’ve added a custom logo/text for the title. I assume making my own font would make it challenging to have translations work automatically. I’ve also added icons to the main menu buttons, updated the ‘save selection’ UI w/ color in mind, and made ‘close menu buttons’ red.

Somethings I’ll note myself:

• At 0:36, the icons in the pause menu aren’t changing color like they do in the main menu.
  • The ‘donate’ UI icon could be improved to match the ‘thickness’ of the other icons.
  • There is no pause menu music as of right now.

I made a post 3 months about my UI and this was the feedback I received:

To update @TomskiKiller on the progress since I last responded, the above video should show less cramped UI, noises on hover, and temporary main menu music. Would you say the menus that pop up should be smaller than they are now?

1 Like

I didn’t see this for a while, but I’d say you could make the pop up menus the tiniest bit shorter. If it looks too odd to you, though, you should just go with what you want! The hover noises and the music seem to fit very well, and I think it adds a lot to the menu to make it feel lively

Also, unrelated to the menu things, and I have no clue if it’s been stated before/on your radar, but I think the movement in your game feels semi-stiff due to the camera. In Robot 64, the camera feels very responsive to your movements and helps it feel more like you’re in control. I think changing the camera’s movement would help a lot to make the game feel more responsive

1 Like