Can I put a Discord link in game?

Hey, this was the most fit category for this, but can I place a Discord with PolicyService and it will be compliant with the Roblox Terms of Service?

5 Likes

I don’t think so

30 charrrrrrrrrrrrs

1 Like

I don’t think this is allowed.
I found another post similar to this on the forum:

2 Likes

No you can’t. The point of social links is to add a discord invite to your game’s page which is only visible to 13+ users. PolicyService doesn’t provide a way to check someone’s age.

1 Like

It might not be the straight way to banland but I wouldn’t do it. I have discord webhook in my script tho (so if you are putting it inside a script then it should be fine, this was posted in scripting support so I assume this has something to do with scripts)

1 Like

You are not for the reasons of child safeguarding, discord is a social media platform. Social media platforms are 13 years of age and over. The way Roblox have implimented it is that you have the social links section in the game/group’s social links. You can have up to 3 social links in a game.

This is a 100% no, however if you’d like you can guide people in-game to the social links tab located under the game’s description, and join your discord server via there, note only users that are 13+ does this. (This is also something Roblox specifically mentioned you can do)

Roblox doesn’t allow discord links in-games or around the platform for the protection of users under 13, it violates ToS, and discord ToS for users under 13 to user their services, Roblox could get in trouble so they implemented social links which has an age check to see if you’re 13+, then allows you to see this.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away!

Where are you guys getting this information from?
PolicyService:GetPolicyInfoForPlayerAsync().AllowedExternalLinkReferences includes Discord in it as allowed by default (for me), meaning that, given some common sense, it is allowed in-game given the result of the policy for the player.

2 Likes

PolicyService is designed chiefly for the Global Compliance System right now, it has no bearing on the allowed links policies. A game feature to return information for a player for tailoring game features does not contradict standing rules on links.

AllowedExternalLinkReferences is still just a reference table based on the Social Media links allowed on the tab: there has been no such word about lifting the ban action on Discord. It is not allowed in games, regardless of whether or not PolicyService returns it in AllowedExternalLinkReferences.

In regards to links that are allowed in games or features integrating third party platforms (e.g. Twitter promotion or Twitter promotional codes), this table can be used to toggle those features.

I answered this same question some days ago:

You can also view some discussion here:
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/using-policyservice-to-determine-if-you-can-show-a-discord-invite-to-a-user/517172

Wait for official response from Roblox or contact Developer Relations about the matter if you really want something concrete from Roblox. Otherwise, keep Discord links off your games.

This should probably be clarified in an official capacity. Given the API results without your response, I likely would have put it in my game.

Absolutely. PolicyService is still not fully released right now and is only in demo for the Chinese market rollout (that in itself isn’t fully fleshed out yet) and if I do recall correctly, PolicyService itself is primarily for Global Compliance. It has no bearing on Roblox rules right now.

For the sake of your own safety and not getting hit by moderation, it’s better not to use what PolicyService returns as a free card to link Discord and one should continue not to do so until they receive word that it’s alright to be doing now, if that ever comes around.

1 Like

The API page states

Returns policy information about a player which is based on geolocation, age group, and platform. The structure of the returned dictionary is as follows…

Perhaps it should be reworded? There is no mention of the Global Compliance System except in a small hyperlink in relation to the IsSubjectToChinaPolicies value. The rest of it seems disconnected from this entirely

PolicyService isn’t fully rolled out so Roblox may have plans in the future to extend what PolicyService can be or should be used for in accordance with Roblox rules, moderation updates and all. It would be best to wait for more information to be released about PolicyService’s usage. Developer Relations may or may not also be able to answer your questions.

No, my friend uploaded a thumbnail with his discord server link in it and he got banned for 3 days.

Roblox bedwars has a discord link in-game