Can I stop players from using my game idea?

For the future, if you’re worried about your game idea being copied, don’t announce it until the game is 90% done or close to release.

2 Likes

… How about not revealing your game’s idea…? Tried that?

1 Like

Sadly not, If it’s copyrighted maybe there’s a chance for it, but this has a lot of technical problems like if you copyrighted it before or after, I hope all goes well.

1 Like

There’s a lot of talk about copyright so I just thought I’d jump in and mention that you can’t copyright game mechanics. You can copyright games insofar as the name, story and assets but you can not copyright how your game functions - which is why all popular gamed inevitably get clones.

1 Like

No, even if you did copyright it people would still make clones (see Pokemon and Mario). Besides, having people make games just like yours is good because it encourages competition. However, a way to prevent people copying your idea is to not reveal the idea when the game is still in development

1 Like

I mean like that is a smart move but at the same time the only reason why I put it out there so I could get some help on it.
@Ukendio ^

But it’s not even close to do not even 90% more like 0.1%.

First you must understand intellectual property rights and then throw that away on the Roblox platform. Most developing games will take ideas off others and then impliment them into their own games. Second never ever tell anyone what you are doing or working on until production is almost completed and you want to build hype, this stops the theif from taking your baby. Third, limit the people you work with to trusted persons and make anyone who works on your game sign an nda, this protection is key although theft could still be a problem. Sorry if this sounds dark and gloomy but the problem we face is that alot of young developers are want to make it to the top and the water is bloody. Hope this helps

1 Like

Well, That all so got me thinking would it be better if I did the project by my self? Or work with a team?

1 Like

No a team is key if you want to push production times faster, plus no one developer is a jack of all trades, I hire people all the time you can very much find good people on dev forum. A quick search of a user profile will tell you if they are legit, don’t just hire any body. Due diligence is key in this aspect and never pay before the work is completed and you control the asset.

1 Like

Well, That’s the think pay I don’t want to pay people for a job that is for fun I was going to make a post asking people to help me for free but then I just said nvm because, I might be spam or attacked talking about pay me and what if your game fails what is the backpay? At the same time having a team would make this fast but I want my game to take it’s time in Development not all fast this make will take at least a year to make and am not going to rush it.

Tough luck, you can’t just tell everyone your game idea and expect nobody to steal it
If you need some feedback, I recommend sharing your ideas with people you trust to limit the chances of this in the future

1 Like

Well, I mean if people do steal it and make it before me lucky them at the same time I would happy because, I gave them the idea and something new would be on roblox. :smile:

Good train of thought yes other people on this platform will ridicule you about pay, to them I say leave people alone I find alot of people here lack an open mind and do not as Roblox would like harbor a collabertive feeling to one another Shame really. but that’s the business we are in. Take your time it’s your game let no one stop you and most of all have fun that’s what this is really about. Time is just something to discuss if you have a specific deadline and need to make x amount of funds, but even that is speculative

1 Like

Well, I do need another composer for this project it’s going to take at least 50-100 songs to make this game this whole game is about music and how it makes people feel while playing a game.
Oh and don’t worry no one is going to stop me from making this.

1 Like

the “Original” Is a Garry’s mod game mode, from about 2013. :eyes:

1 Like

Well, True that’s what I think about for all games that get copied but at the same time some people take it to far and hey if they make the game before me who cares at least it’s on roblox and at least I can say that I had the idea to make it first.

There is a lot of great information in the comments of this post. I understand exactly what you are saying, as recently I have seen a game that was pretty much copied from the original, and is actually pretty well developed (not naming names; love the original so much better though). Personally, I don’t think that there is anything you can really do about it. Maybe just ask people not to copy your game (maybe something as simple as that will stop copiers).

1 Like

You don’t need to put your idea out there just to get help? Just be smarter in how you write threads.

2 Likes

Here are some tips to prevent asset/idea theft

• Avoid using free models as they may contain viruses
  • Only hire people you trust to work on your game
  • Don’t reveal your idea as soon as your game starts development
2 Likes