Can I stop players from using my game idea?

Hello, People of Dev Forum.

I was wounding if there is a way to stop people from using my game idea or my game?
Game Idea:

Thank you for reading and I hope you have a great day.

13 Likes

Honestly that’s not really completely possible, if someone really wanted they would find a way around any potential copyright’s you may manage to set for a game ( and that would require the game be pretty unique itself ) even big games have that issue, notice the thousands of off brand pokemon games, etc.

3 Likes

You could just try and make your game the best out of the copies. For example: there’s a game called Murderer Mystery 3, which isn’t created by Nikilis, but the original has more players.
Purple one is MM2 (original). Green one is MM3 (copy/fan-made idk)

7 Likes

No, you can’t stop someone from stealing your idea.

3 Likes

This sounds more like a question of intellectual property instead of one of actual development, and since I do not practice law my answer is purely based on some searching:

What it says is that whilst elements of the game such as maps, characters, music and dialogue can be placed under protection of intellectual property a game idea itself cannot. People are free to make games based around certain ideas and you cannot stop them, that is why there are so many first person shooter games for example.

4 Likes

Ok, well is there a way to get the copy of that game taken down?

1 Like

About 3 years ago, MM2 (accidentally) got Assassin taken down for copyright. Maybe because of a gamemode that MM2 introduced then and Roblox Moderation probably detected that Assassin “stole” scripts.

3 Likes

maybe avoid telling everyone your game…

19 Likes

If they’re just using the same game idea and haven’t stolen anything unique to your game such as maps, scripts, dialogue music and other things I mentioned above then no you cannot get the copy taken down.

Also funny how you want people to stop using your game idea when your literally taking the idea off of someone else in the first place :joy:.

My suggestion is instead of worrying about someone using your game idea, make a better game than them using the same idea. Using my shooter example there are plenty of first person shooters all using the same basic idea but some are more popular then others because a game isn’t just about the idea.

4 Likes

This is a fairly easy question to answer if you would just think about for a second. Look at any market for any sort of product, ever. Are there copies of popular products? Yes. There isn’t a way to prevent someone from stealing the general idea of your game except for to not talk about if you don’t want your idea stolen. Ideas cannot be copyrighted or protected in any way.

The topic of stealing intellectual property is an entirely different subject and I assume it’s not what you’re talking about, but stealing IP can and should be protected against.

2 Likes

Bro, don’t worry about that, really, i mean, if someone is copying your game, that means because they liked it, maybe…

Actually, this is a trick that i thought, and most of the games must use it: If a game is copying you, copy him too:

Imagine Jailbreak and Mad City: Mad City is the copy of Jailbreak, both games are copying some stuff each other, but not too much, if i would be jailbreak creator, what i would do is copy everything from Mad City.

I hope this helpssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

3 Likes

Unfortunately you can’t copyright an idea like a car or a basket ball only assets that you have made. But this seems like a cool idea and if it gets brought to light I would love to play it!

2 Likes

If you don’t want people stealing your game don’t announce the idea everywhere. What mean is you can still post the game. And you can still say your idea. But don’t tell everyone your idea because a developer that sees it might be able to finish it quicker

1 Like

But then how would your game get popular/on the front page?

That defeats the whole purpose :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

It will be very difficult to copyright an idea or get a DMCA takedown request for material that your perceive to be infringing on your intellectual property.

There’s nothing you can do to stop someone from taking your idea, changing the name, and adding some fluff to the gameplay to make it “unique.” It becomes even more difficult to stop infringement if the other game is a parody of your own. Copyright law generally has exceptions for parody.

Best advice I can give is to take down any content and reference to your game if you are concerned about intellectual theft.

2 Likes

What i mean is try not to announce a whole lot when you are just starting development it.

3 Likes

Simply keep the idea to yourself, instead of telling the whole world about your amazing game idea. Keep it confidential and it won’t happen in the first place.

2 Likes

When release comes anyone can copy the game ideas. They can make their own games inspired by yours or make a game that aspires to be yours.

You can’t prevent that. Creativity is part of the Roblox platform.

2 Likes

If it’s that case, the developer has to claim and make it known that the idea is his or hers through the different social media platforms to make yourself the known pioneers of the ideas. With that reputation everyone will know who created the game idea. You have to build your reputation in this case, which should help. This is the community/public based approach to this issue.

1 Like

So through the world there’s a law called copy right if you own the rights to that and someone is too similar to your copyright you can bring them to court and Roblox will take any game down that has infringed upon someone’s copy right but just the idea really can’t be protected without a patten. The same actions probably will be the same for any violators. Personally I’d talk to a lawyer or other legal personnel instead of some Devs.

3 Likes