Can I use a game name for my game?

So I am making a game, which is very similar to another game. To get people’s attention, I want to use the same name as that game and put a 2 after it. The other game name is not copyrighted and it is to a point general. Would I have to get direct permission from him or can I use the game name?

2 Likes

To keep it safe, get direct permission from the owner to make sure he will allow you to. If you don’t, and go ahead and put the game name as your game’s name, and he didn’t approve of it and he gets mad. You’ll most likely get in trouble. I’d suggest asking direct permission to be safe. Because the owner could be planning to make a part II of the game.

1 Like

Basically everything Nanonauts already said, but there is one thing I want to touch on.

Not a very safe idea for a few reasons:

• You could get flak for the game looking like a “knock-off” of someone else’s already established game from the title alone. You might still get flak since many games already have this issue without having the same name.

• This is misleading as it is not a continuation of the original game.

• Your game could be heavily down voted because of the above, and heavily down voted games are traffic killers.

Of course, it is your game, but it would be best to think about the above and analyze if that is still the choice you want to go for.

1 Like

So I am making a game, which is very similar to another game. To get people’s attention

This sounds like a malicious reason to use the same name, either if it’s a video game not on Roblox or another game on Roblox. It seems like you are trying to use their name to get people to play your game. I would highly recommend making your own name for your game.

1 Like

People have been doing this with games like doomspire brickbattle, flee the facility, etc.

1 Like

It doesn’t make it right to do so even if other people do it.

1 Like

To put it simply: no, this is not an acceptable means of naming a game.

If your idea is to put a 2, or anything explicitly implying a sequel onto the title of an existing game that you are not the creator of, you are abusing its intellectual property.

Your best option as always is to come up a name similar to the the one you’re inspired by without implying that it is related to it. For example, “Jailbreak” versus “Jail Breakout”.

9 Likes