Can I use this in my game?

Hello Developers,
I want to ask you if I can use the popular company logo or just the text.
Example: Coca Cola or Lays and other popular snack companies.
Thanks for any respond.
Bye.

2 Likes

I think a while ago, Nikilis got in trouble for adding branded content to his game, Murder Mystery 2. To be safe, I’d say to (heavily) modify the name and logo. For example, Coca Cola: Bloxy Cola

3 Likes

Disclaimer: This is not a legal advice.

Brands you mentioned, like Coca Cola, Lays, Ferrari, Lego etc., they are all protected by trademarks. That means any protected names, slogans, logos, anything that is a distinctive mark associated with the company.

Yes, unauthorized use of trademarks can quickly infringe on the rights. Normally, a developer approaches the company and obtains a license/permission, which usually involves some fees, unless the agreement is solely about advertizing.

If a dispute occurs, people then often plead to fair use (parody, satire, nominative use …). But all this is on quite a thin line and is more prone to disputes.

Roblox also can’t protect you here, because creators are responsible to abide by IP-law.

Therefore, as @RoninQV said, it’s a much safer to use alternative true-to-life names or variations, like Ferrori :slight_smile:.

It’s worth mentioning that tons of games use alternative names, and there are some that use real names. I would dare to say they mostly don’t have a written explicit permission. Multinational companies may not be aware of the use, or not even care, especially if the trademark subject is not presented in a pejorative or derogatory way. After all, how many guns in all the shooter games are trademarked? The companies might not care or not react because the use doesn’t affect them, or possibly does in a positive way.

On the other hand, there are cases of companies taking action against even much smaller parties. Because there are so many (theoretical) infringements around the world, it’s impossible to act on them all, so they normally focus on the medium to large infringers.

2 Likes

you can use with a bit editing

2 Likes

okay I will use the edited names “Bloxy Cola”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.