Can I use ViewportFrame in surface gui

I want to display playes ingame character on a poster so ill need to his ingame model as 2d image. I know I can do that in ScreenGui but ViewportFrame tutorial doesn’t mention anything about surface gui. So I was wondering if its possible

18 Likes

You can display characters on posters without viewport frames.

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/function/Players/GetUserThumbnailAsync

4 Likes

ViewportFrames are supported in SurfaceGuis, as long as the SurfaceGui is located within the local player’s PlayerGui and it’s Adornee property has been set to a part.

85 Likes

I want their ingame character on thr posters not robloxs one

5 Likes

same thing, the in-game one is the one they are using on roblox unless you added a custom character in-game

The only problem I face with this is that cframe animations do not apply when an object is inside of StarterGUI. Therefore I cannot make animated ViewportFrames. Is there another work-around/method that I can use.

(I am trying to make a working TV with custom videos like in Bloxburg.)

Try using a “WorldModel” instance, I think it should work as I’ve used it before to play animations.

been looking for a solution to this all day. I set it up just like @harule but nothin :frowning: i set up a screengui just to make sure im not doing something obvious, but nope, that works fine (see top left corner with the column).

any ideas what im missing (and i am pressing play to test it, and also double checked that the surface gui is facing the correct face).

thanks!

nvm … for some reason the adornee clears on play … i guess i have to set that in code.

ok, well thanks for the solution, works awesome!