Can someone get an IP of a game and ddoss the game?

Hello,

So I am a dev in a fast food group and today someone was talking about how they can get the IP of the game and then get the group and game banned.

I feel like this user was just trolling but some of the things he said make me wonder if this is true or not. Better be safe then sorry. Honestly surely this would be impossible anyways even if it was true cuz the user does not have acess to the game or any thing.

2 Likes

the only thing remotely like that someone could feasibly do is potentially ddos a website which you have connected with HTTPService ( which might not even be the case to begin with ), however that wouldn’t be able to feed back into the game unless said website was hacked to some capacity.

otherwise, there is no “IP” that they can do anything with to get the group hacked, banned etc. that’s just not a thing people can do to roblox games.

simply put: scary hacker man say big thing that don’t work

2 Likes

Yes, it has happened to me before. There are methods which I have no idea how they work which DDOSS games by taking the IP of individual servers. You can prevent this though by making private servers, although I don’t know how useful that would be.

Thats actually not true. People have ddossed roblox servers before

We use no website I think but i could be wrong

How though… They would need to have server acess surely??

1 Like

I’m not sure how, I think its through some weird API stuff. It is certainly possible though. They also don’t need to be in-game to do it depending on their method

This isn’t true - if Roblox had no public IP that anyone could access, then how would people be able to join servers? These sorts of attacks do happen to some people, and I’m positive it’s extremely frustrating to those affected, but from what I know, the affected can’t get banned for it (since it’s not them doing it).

What I mean is that we don’t use any other website. of course roblox has an ip

So… that’s how they can wreak havoc?

When you join a Roblox game, Roblox, as part of the steps for joining a game, they send a request to get the server ID and port of where the server that you have requested to join is being hosted, which your client then uses to connect to a server.

Malicious actors can then use the same endpoint to request the server IP and port, and then flood that server with loads of data, essentially slowing it to a crawl, which can result in nobody being able to join that server any more.

Of course, this is all highly illegal, and can even take out games not related to you. The best solution is to just ignore any “hacker”, (DDoSing isn’t really hacking, it’s just being annoying), and ban them, though if somebody does decide to DDoS your game, the most you can do is either wait it out, or go into a VIP server.

1 Like

Could we get in trouble if someone does it to a game we own?

It’s highly unlikely, you’ve done nothing wrong.

You cannot grab someones IP off of roblox, unless they click a malicious link.

1 Like

Server’s IP and player’s IP are two different things.

2 Likes

These are the addresses of servers, not players. You can’t connect to a server without knowing the IP of a server. This is totally possible and it is one of the easiest things you can do.

1 Like

Misread this, thought it was the players Ip and not the game, my bad lol.