Can you make a game without any scripting

I was wondering can I make a game without scripting? I am really not sure if this goes here but I am just asking if it is possible?

2 Likes

You could make a very simple obby without any Scripting by just placing parts or you can make a very complex and long obby with tons of stages and a lot of Scripting it’s totally up to you and you’re capabilities,for the answer:
• Yes

Well it really depends on the type of game you are making. There are a lot of free scripts to use that are available in the library (although some of them may contain malicious code). If you are making something like an obby or tycoon, then there really isn’t much scripting involved and there are plenty of obby kits and tycoon kits that you can use.

Can it affect the quality of the game and or the assets since there is no scripting involved?

I am mostly trying to make a small city from bottom up cars arent problem I was just wondering can you do it with out scripting and it not lacking quality or realism?

It might affect the quality a bit since you can’t make kill parts without scripting and stuff, if you we’re to make an obby it would basically just be jumps.

It will definitely affect the quality but it depends on what you are using and how you are using also it think #help-and-feedback:game-design-support would be a more appropriate place for this thread/topic

You’d definitely want to have cars, and a currency system with which players can purchase items from stores in the city and buy houses.

The only realism there is to a city would be the civilization of it, and weather. However you can use particle emitters to make rain, and you can add bodyvelocities into cars, that aren’t scripted. Only problem with the car one is that the car will need to go back to it’s position, and you can’t do that without scripting.

A game without scripting is usually just a showcase type place, where builders show off their skills. An obby without scripting is going to be hard because you’ll need to save the stages if you want players to do your whole obstacle (depending on how long it is). A tycoon without scripting doesn’t exist, because you can’t make touch buttons, or click buttons without the events needed to fire them. Also if you make a game without scripting you will also not make any revenue at all from your game, besides premium member visits.

You could also let physics do its thing

You can use constraints and such on parts to get really cool effects.

For instance, here are a few videos that use constraints by Roblox:

4 Likes

Yea it’s possible. Though you limit your creativity as scripting is a fundamental concept for game creating. Though, you can make a showcase. If you want to deliver and focus on your building technique then a showcase is a perfect way to display it.

Of course, there’s showcase games and some games with very minimum scripting like Detroit RP for example, those games rely on heavy visuals

Short answer, yes. It depends on the type of game though, the most you can do would be walk around and chat without any scripting in the game.

Well, as a matter of speaking, no.

It can be titled “Impossible obby” or something, due to the fact that you haven’t scripted any checkpoints. Although there would be no hazard parts, consider testing CanCollide features of parts.

Yes. You can make a playable game. Will it be fun? Probably not.

You can create some sort of an obby without scripting, but there might be hackers and stuff, I recommend getting some scripts from the toolbox!

1 Like

Showcase games also don’t use scripts so you can i guess just build.

1 Like

I would definately say yes.
There are many tutorials that you could use, for example if you want a Fighting-System, you could just search for it and then copy the script (for example Youtube or the toolbox).
I don’t really recommend that though.

If you really want to make a game with “good” scripts in it, hire a scripter or learn scripting. I think it would be pretty “chaotic” if you just insert 10 scripts from the toolbox without knowing what they really do.

1 Like

You couldn’t really connect those scripts too, what I mean by this is following:
For example you have a combat-system script. It has some nice punches and kicks but you want the player that you’ve killed get a KO added to their KO-leaderstat.
You would search for a tutorial that shows you how to but the problem is, that his combat-system script is different, it’s not the same as yours.
That means, it would be pretty hard for you to do that, you would need to hire a scripter, probably.

1 Like

Let me explain like this. Everything that you want to happen automatically in the game need to be scripting. Like a door tween, kill block etc. If you’re a beginner to scripting I highly recommend to try to learn scripting. You can also use pre made scripts by Roblox in the free templates when creating a game on Roblox Studio. There are a few exceptions and that is things like hinges for instance. With Roblox physics system they can make cool effects.

1 Like