Can you make a Tower Defense game like Plants Vs Zombies?

Would Roblox’s engine be able to make a game like P.V.Z?

As some might know, Plants Vs Zombies is a casual tower defense game with a charming 2D art style and the main aspect of the game is for the Plants to attack the zombies. Without making a 2.5D game or 3D game can it be possible to replicate it?
pvz2

1 Like

I believe yes, as it is practically the same as other tower defense games, just a different layout. I doubt you could make it 2D, without it being impossible or a game that is run like garbage.So I am telling you know, It’s way too hard to make a 2D game like that. Maybe you could make it 3D with a good camera angle? 2D in roblox is currently 3d With a angle from the side so it looks 2D-ish.

1 Like

I think that is definitely possible and would actually be a nice idea for a game. Changing the subject of the camera to a fixed invisible part from that angle will make it 2.5d.

1 Like

Thank you for your recommendation, I think to make the cartoon art style run smoothly you’d have to make a plugin that is just a GUI over 3D gameplay on a baseplate like Word Bomb.

Do I think its possible? Yes, easily

Do I think it will be successful? No.

Plants vs Zombies is a game that I believe really only still sells itself on its brand, and at least on roblox it is heavily outperformed by a lot more dynamic, advanced, and engaging more 3D + social based alternatives, meaning you would be heavily outcompeted.

For example id much rather play a game like tower defence simulator since I can play it with friends, and its designed to be 3 dimensional.

1 Like

Although with some tweaking the concept could work well, I do not think Roblox’s 2d capabilities are as refined as its 3d capabilities and I doubt it could run a fully 2d game with the level of detail pvz has

At this point, there has been numerous Roblox games that manage to push the boundaries of the platform, that are much more advanced than PvZ. However, I don’t really see this game taking off as much. Tower Defense styled games are sort of difficult to market, though there are plenty that have succeeded (e.g Tower Defense Simulator and Tower Battles), however a large majority of them didn’t really gain any traction at all and/or died out.

Two examples:
Budget PvZ By @Woomyism
Plants Vs Noobs By @thebeesknees66

Both games utilize a camera angle that makes the 3d game look like a 2d game, but as of currently, I can’t find any good examples that show a game similar to PvZ in 2d.

Personal opinion, if you want to do a complete 2d game, i suggest looking for other game engines as those have built-in support for 2d games, but for Roblox, you are better off making a 3d PVZ with 2d angles.