Can you raytrace items in Roblox Studio? How to make lighting more realistic to movies?

I’ve been working on a roblox experience based off Pixar’s Monsters, Inc. with new character designs and names but keeping the same feel of working in the factory and having to enter the human world to keep the lights on, and then repair teams can work to keep the factory running properly.

Pixar & Disney use different forms of lighting and different lighting techniques, software, or other listings to make there buildings, raytracing, and lighting more realistic and more eye-catching.

I’ve been working on this project for 6 months and plan to overhaul all of the existing models inside the game to be more realistic and match picture to picture

So my question is: Is there such thing as raytracing and using more advanced lighting tools to improve the look of the lighting and make it match the movies and shows better?

My current work on the game with the old models and old lighting I am not happy with the outcome of.

The lighting feels not enough “wetness” to me and is to dry for what I would prefer. The colors feel to cold and de-satured and some parts of it are to dark while others are to bright.

The images I’m referencing this off of:

The last image is probably the best one to reference it off of.
Both building tips and lighting tips are appreciated, and if you have any news about raytracing.

I am happy to provide a copy of the game if you need it to try to tweak the lighting values or buildings.

1 Like

It’s possible to make it, but because some things about Roblox, it could cause a lot (really lot) of lag, even if you have a good graphic card (because roblox can’t use it).

Almost nobody did one because of the lag that it causes.

I think maybe you can get that result using shaders (external apps (or exploits, because even if changes just lighting, some people say it’s exploits) that changes the roblox lighting)

(Maybe try ReShade, it works in a lot of games (also Roblox))

Is there still a way to and if there is can you explain it to me in the replies or direct messages?

I think just using the ReShade…

Or maybe try to use sunrays or any other thing to try get that effect.

I’ve made a shader system that uses the camera’s ViewportPointToRay method, but because the closest thing to drawing a pixel on screen in roblox is using frames, and the more frames you have the more laggy they get, it ends up being really low fps unless you use really big frames as the pixels. The actual scanning of the screen or certain objects on the screen can go by fast with optimizations, though, so if roblox allowed us a non-laggy way of painting pixels then you could do this.

Another way you could optimize drawing pixels on the screen is using gradients instead of individual pixels, but, and correct me if I’m wrong, I’m pretty sure roblox only allows for a certain amount of colors per gradient. If not then this whole system is entirely plausible, cause you’d only need as many frames as there are pixels in the Y axis of a player’s viewport frame.

The most plausible method of something like this, though, is just baking the lighting. No reflections, but you could have something similar to super good looking global illumination.

1 Like

Could you explain the last part to me in more broader terms, such as baking the lighting, in replies or messages? I am quite confused. :sweat_smile:

Oh sure. I’m not too intelligent on the topic, but I think in simple terms, baking lighting is just calculating how the lighting would bounce around the scene pre-run time. You’re basically doing the calculations once before playing so the lights don’t have to calculate how to bounce around the scene during runtime.

The tradeoff for this is lights can’t dynamically bounce around the room, so if someone walks in between one of the rays of light, theres no light bouncing off the character like there is with raytracing.

And as for volumetric rays you can see coming from the window like in the last image, I’ve never been too sure how people make those since Roblox lights don’t have support for them. There’s lots of methods you can try, but I think the most common is just using beams. I personally dislike that though, because if you look at the intersection between the beam and the window, you can see seams in it, but regardless here’s a tutorial on how to use beams for volumetric lighting anyway.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.