Cannot Destroy Part

Want to delete a part of a tool on the client. No errors, no nothing. Just does not work and skips right past it. Maybe it’s something with the WaitForChild’s or maybe that I am on the Client, unsure

script.Parent.MouseButton1Click:Connect(function()
	script.Parent.Parent.Visible = false
	script.Parent.Parent.Parent.main.Visible = true
	game.Players.LocalPlayer.Backpack:WaitForChild("Blue Headphones"):WaitForChild("package"):Destroy()
end)

Is there something in the output? Did you misstype anything?

so try this one

game.Players.LocalPlayer.Backpack:FindFirstChild("Blue Headphones"):FindFirstChild("package"):Destroy()
end)

there is absolutely nothing in the output

gave this error:

08:43:26.392  Players.madzxla_tycoon.Backpack.Blue Headphones.theMakeWorkPart.gui.start.TextButton.LocalScript:4: attempt to index nil with 'FindFirstChild'  -  Client - LocalScript:4
  08:43:26.392  Stack Begin  -  Studio
  08:43:26.392  Script 'Players.madzxla_tycoon.Backpack.Blue Headphones.theMakeWorkPart.gui.start.TextButton.LocalScript', Line 4  -  Studio - LocalScript:4
  08:43:26.393  Stack End  -  Studio

You have a chain of WaitForChild calls. It’s generally a good practice to avoid too many WaitForChild calls in a row. If any of the calls fail to find the child, the entire chain will fail. Instead, consider breaking it up into separate lines to make debugging easier.

Certain actions, like modifying objects in the Backpack, might be restricted on the client side due to security reasons. You might need to handle the deletion on the server and then communicate the change to the client.

local tool = game.Players.LocalPlayer.Backpack:FindFirstChild("Blue Headphones")

if tool then
        local package = tool:FindFirstChild("package")

if package then
            package:Destroy()
            print("Package destroyed successfully.")
        else
            warn("Package not found.")
        end
    else
        warn("Tool not found in Backpack.")
    end

end)
1 Like

finally found whats wrong, appereantly, its not there, very weird issue, monitored the backpack and when i equip the tool, the tool gets removed from the backpack, so where is it now? unsure

edit 1: i thought that even if you equip the tool it still stays in the backpack (which it should)

edit 2: turns out, the tool goes to workspace, can i do game.workspace.localplayer or something?? very unsure what to do rn

If the “package” object is being destroyed, it could be causing the tool itself to be removed from the backpack.

Tools are not automatically kept in the backpack when equipped. When you equip a tool, it is moved from the backpack to the character’s character model. It’s not supposed to stay in the backpack.

it seems like you might be misunderstanding how tools work in Roblox. If you want the tool to stay in the backpack even when equipped, you shouldn’t be destroying the “package” object. Instead, you might want to modify your code to achieve the desired behavior.

local tool = game.Players.LocalPlayer.Backpack:FindFirstChild("Blue Headphones")

if tool then

if package then
        else
        end
    else
    end

end)

basically i have this headphone model, there is packaging/wrap on it and i want it removed when clicking this gui object, its just to remove that packaging part

In that case you can use this method

if tool then
        local package = tool:FindFirstChild("package", true)  -- Adding 'true' for case-insensitive search

if package then
        else
        end
    else
    end

end)

no, the gui appears when the tool is equipped, its not always on the screen, thats the thing, do i go in workspace, get the users username, find the characters model using the players username, and delete it through the character model?

Oh, Sorry for misunderstanding lol.

I’m not sure but i think this could be possible like this?:

local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
    local character = player.Character

if character then
        local tool = character:FindFirstChild("Blue Headphones")

if tool then

if package then
            else
            end
        else
            warn("Tool not found in character.")
        end
    else
        warn("Character not found.")
    end

end)

finally works, tysm for helping me

No problem!
Good luck on your game!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.