Cannot insert emojis in properties on macOS

I am trying to change instance’s values with emojis, however, on macOS, you can’t. Before when I used Windows, this worked perfectly fine.

Video:

Reproduction Steps:

1. Open Studio
  2. Select an Instance
  3. On any Instance with a String, open the Emoji picker (With the fn key on Apple Silicon Macs, and on Intel Macs, Command + Control + Space), and try to insert an emoji into the value.

Computer specifications:

• MacBook Air M1 (2020)
  • 8 Core CPU, 8 Core GPU, Apple M1
  • 8 GB Unified Memory
  • 512 GB SSD
  • macOS Monterey 12.4 (Also happens in macOS Ventura 13.0)

Workaround:

1. Open TextEdit and create a new document
  2. Add the emoji into the document
  3. Copy the emoji
  4. Paste the emoji into the property.

Additional Info:

• Issue started happening when I got my Mac (May of Last year)
  • Issue happens 100% of the time
  • Not sure if it does this on Intel Macs.
  • Also happens in-game. You cannot add emojis to input.

The same exact issue in games. It gets very annoying not only you can’t do emojis, you can’t type in other languages. But other language inputs do work in studio. On Windows, you can do any of those without any issues both in-game and in studio. Roblox needs to put more attention to macOS users.

1 Like

Interesting. Adding emojis used to work for input in-game. Im guessing that both of these issues are related to this one. Thanks for letting me know about this.

1 Like

We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database, and we’ll follow up when we have an update.

Thanks for the report!

3 Likes

I can verify that the issue does happen on Intel-based macintosh devices. When I go onto my windows machine the problem is far from present I would love to see a fix for this as we MAC users would love to implement emojis easily into our Roblox studio projects.

My Macintosh Specs

• Macbook Pro 15 Inch (2017)
  • Intel Core i7 7700HQ
  • Radeon Pro 555
  • 16GB LPDDR3 @ 2133Mhz
  • 256GB Apple SSD
  • MacOS Ventura 13.0
1 Like

Following up!

Someone from our team tried to reproduce this issue on a macOS Monterey 12.4, the same version the developer has, but he was able to insert any emoji without problems.
Are you still experiencing the issue? @BillB1ox

Yes, I am still having the issue.

I was working once, but right after, it wasn’t.

Edit

I found out if you click the property right after inserting the emoji, it will work, but replace all of the text.