Cannot play any Roblox game on Firefox + macOS

When using Mozilla Firefox on macOS Mojave, I’m unable to get into any Roblox game. Clicking the Play Button just opens the Roblox Games page.

Screen Recording

I’m only experiencing this bug on Firefox + macOS. Firefox on Windows 10 works as expected. Google Chrome and other Chromium-based browsers (like Brave or Edge) don’t have this problem.

I installed Firefox on my macOS machine on August 8, 2020 and I’ve been experiencing this issue since then.

To reproduce:

1. Install Firefox and Roblox on a macOS machine
  2. Try to play any Roblox game
  3. The first time you launch Roblox Player it will work without issues. The second time however only takes you to Discover - Roblox
System Info

Memory: 8GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 617 1536MB
Firefox Browser Version: 79.0 (64-bit)

system specs

7 Likes

I’ve had this issue. A restart usually fixes it. If not, let me know. There is another way you can fix it, but it requires you to go into the Roblox files location and manually click the app.

Restarting hasn’t fixed it for me, I’ve also reinstalled both Firefox and Roblox. Could you elaborate on what you mean by manually clicking the app?

Do you have disc? It’d be easier to show you than describing each step you take.

Yeah, I’ll private message you my info, and post the solution here if it works

When I used a mac, I was able to get firefox to work quite a bit, but i cant remember at this point. I do remember there were sometimes where safari + firefox would show the screen roblox is only avaliable on x x x.

That’s interesting, was that a long time ago or did it show that on newer versions of Firefox (like Firefox versions 70+)?

It happened every now and then. I cant remember which versions, but it just happened randomly.

If you have Roblox installed, Can you please try these in Firefox.

1. Open Preference, go to Application section, find the item “roblox-player” ,
  2. click the drop down menu in Action column, IF there is a “detail” item, click it and in popup window, click “remove”.
  3. choose action again, and click “use others”, it will pop up the Finder window. Do not choose anything yet.
  4. CMD+SHIFT+G to bring up the “go to” tab, enter path /Applications/Roblox.app/Contents/MacOS, go there and select “Roblox.” and click “open”.

let me know how it works.

32 Likes

Thank you, this works perfectly!

If anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future, use this path to fix Roblox Studio: /Applications/RobloxStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/RobloxStudio.app

2 Likes

This is still an issue that Roblox should address themselves. Some people might not see this topic in order to learn how to fix the issue.

Thank you so much! This needs to be somewhere where users are more likely to see it, like on support.roblox.com.

Roblox could also just fix the issue themselves. Hopefully soon, but we will have to continue waiting… :pensive:

Don’t use Firefox / Chrome on Mac, only use safari. Safari is 10x more powerful than Chrome and takes much less cpu.

Some people prefer Mozilla Firefox for its unique set of features. It really comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Apple has some benchmarks of their own.

Oh my- Thank you! It was really annoying me out like OP.

Thanks this works perfectly now.

I agree not to use chrome on anything because it is slow. Firefox is not slow and is fast (I use it). Safari is optimized for Mac computers so it will run the best

The same goes for Microsoft Edge on Windows computers. :slight_smile:

The IE based edge is out of date and the new edge is just chrome. Firefox based browsers are best for windows