Can't Export as Obj File

For a while now, in a same Studio place, I couldn’t export any file as .obj. Usually I right click onto the selected models and I try to Export as Obj, but nothing happens. There are no output warnings or errors.

The place I am having issues with:
https://www.roblox.com/games/128684318683332/Launch-It-Dev

Beta Features:



Currently I just copy the models, paste it into another place & export it from there.

I am very suspicious of one thing, it’s the fact that my place is flagged for the Input Action System, because I wanted extra benefits for my game. This is where I opted-out and there might be a small chance that IAS was affecting Exporting in Explorer ( which shouldn’t ).

System Information:
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-13650HX (2.60 GHz)

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

GPU 0: Intel (R) UHD Graphics
GPU 1: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU

GPU 0 Driver Version: 32.0.101.6790
GPU 1 Driver Version: 32.0.15.7283

RAM: 16.0 GB

10 Likes

I have encountered this issue aswell. I attempted to export as .gltf instead and encountered this.

As expected, with no remaining data to export, the resulting file contains no 3D geometry. I was not previously aware that Roblox Studio restricts the export of meshes not originally created by the user. Any mesh uploaded to Roblox Studio by any user should be fully accessible for editing, transformation, and exporting.

NOTE: Exporting the mesh as a .OBJ file in a new non published or saved place appears to work just fine.

Hi @LerpCat ,

We are working on improving the permissions system in glTF export so less users encounter these dialogues.

I was not previously aware that Roblox Studio restricts the export of meshes not originally created by the user. Any mesh uploaded to Roblox Studio by any user should be fully accessible for editing, transformation, and exporting.

We’ve had a lot of internal debate about this, there are many creators who have differing opinions so we’re just trying to weigh the options and be the least intrusive while respecting people’s wishes around permissions control.

Otherwise, we’re working on getting a new OBJ export out. It will be several months this we get there, but we have staff on the problem and that should resolve all your issues.

Apologies about the current state!

1 Like

Hey, I’m curious how you ended up fixing this?

I’m encountering the same issue while attempting to do ModelPhotobooth exports.

4 Likes

It’s happening to me too when I try to export pictures of models with Photobooth. Let me know if it gets resolved.

1 Like

I tried again, and it’s working now, not sure why or how. I didn’t do anything different.

This is happening to me. No pop up, no errors/warnings, nothing

You may be experiencing this bug → Unable to Export as Obj after Play Test

1 Like