Can't hold on to players for longer than a couple minutes?

Hey everyone! I just released my game Finders Keepers on the first of July, and to say that it’s doing poorly would be… a major understatement.

Everyone’s feedback of the game has been quite positive, and I’ve sponsored the game a few times. But every time someone new joins, they leave after one or two minutes - which often isn’t even long enough for them to play a round in full.

To lay the foundation, Finders Keepers is a round-based game of tag, where one person is the Keeper while the others are Finders. The Keeper must collect as many Finders as they can, and the Finders are trying to evade the Keeper while collecting enough gems so they can escape the map and win.

If anyone could give me some feedback on how to retain players, please test the game out at Finders Keepers - Roblox and let me know your thoughts!

4 Likes

The problem here is that people who play sponsored games are typically “braindead”, which means that they’ll immediately leave if they don’t know what to do. I’d suggest not having the player read a bunch of stuff when they first join the game as that would probably agitate them enough to leave (I know, crazy right?).

4 Likes

That’s funny, when I initially had trouble attracting players at first, I thought it was because they had no idea what to do in the game. Interesting perspective!

1 Like

I would hook the players so that they don’t know whats going on. Like a good series. You don’t know what is going to happen next so you hang around. Most games that don’t succeed (most) are predictable so they get tired of it. Like watching the same thing over and over again.

1 Like

The game and map as a whole is very confusing in my opinion, which is not good for player retention or to even for them to try and play the game. If you want people to stay in game, you should first clean up the game a bit. Make UI’s cleaner, easier to read etc. Also, another tip is to build up a community before launch, so on launch day when your running sponsors you will already have players in game. With players in game others will be more likely to stay and see what its about.

Good luck!

There wasn’t anyone else when I joined the game, so I could only write about the lobby.

The lobby by itself is already quite confusing, with so many tunnels and rooms that Players can access. It’s not a very efficient “tutorial” for Players to run around the lobby, reading the tips provided around the lobby.

Instead, you should create a tutorial that Players can engage with when they first join the game. This would definitely help more people to know how to play your game without the confusion of running around the lobby.

Also, just wanted to say that you should cover this part of the cave with the Terrain Editor, instead of placing an invisible wall there, considering that Players can already exit the cave from other tunnels.

1 Like