Can't maintain players in game!

Hey! I just finished a medieval fighting game strongly multiplayer aimed, I got some visits but when players join an empty server they just can’t do anything but explore (since it is a PvP game with, obviously, PvP mechanics).
I thought about adding a map (or minimap) to guide players into exploring the game (shops, locations, mechanics) until a different player joins and they can interact (fight, chat or whatever). Of course, this is pretty hard to reach, but since I’ll run some ads this will be possible (hopefully, a player will join while another one is exploring).

What do you think about this? Do you have any experience about this? Any method that I can try? NPC/bots are not an option currently.

Thank you for reading!

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely add a minimap. It will give players who don’t want to PvP/in a lobby with sweats something to do, and since the game is going to be small, it will give players to do incase there are few players online.

As of how to do that, youre gonna want to so some weird things with ViewportFrames and cameras. I’ve never done a minimap, so I cant really help there, but it’s pretty simple if you know what youre doing

2 Likes

I think I’ll add both a minimap and a whole map using RoRender, but I’m not sure yet.

Thank you very much for replying!

2 Likes

Look, you’ll need to make LOADS of ads. Loads. Even good games like Balista did it. No money, No social relations = Fail. :frowning:
Or you can depend on luck from god, which is quite rare

3 Likes

Ads are always a go to. You can either run daily, cheap ads (what I do) or large ads every so often.

1 Like

Laughs in Elden Ring

In all honesty, if the game involves mainly PVP and not player fighting random npcs then ADs/getting it out there is one of a few important objectives to getting it started/maintained. Otherwise, add additions that’ll make the player want to explore/gather/play around as they get to know the game better. Small quests, objectives, etc will work in keeping the player engaged when there is no player to pummel into the ground.

1 Like
  1. I don’t think Balista is actually a good game (they tried to make a Roblox MORDHAU and ended up pretty bad), but that’s a personal opinion.

2. What do you mean by “LOADS” of ads? A lot of ads you mean?

3. What did Balista specifically do?

Thank you for replying!

What method do you think is more effective?

Thank you for replying!

Hey! It isn’t a RPG game, so quests or stuff like that is not an option right now.

Thank you for replying!

Alright, the truth is, the two best multiplayer melee combat games on Roblox that’s not a clicky simulator is Balista and ZO.

I played Mordhaul before, I know what it feels like, it’s true that Balista didn’t make it as realistic, but in my opinion, the graphics, physics and system is good enough.

I found the game Balista in the sponsored section. I didn’t play it at first, but after seeing it for days I decided to try it, it was really fun.

I personally have this habit of checking sponsored games everyday, I observed many games, there are games who spends thousands of robux everyday with very little profit back, just enough to keep them alive, I think you get what I mean.
No Ads = Nothing
Some Ads = A few small spikes, not enough to maintain player bases
Many Ads = Enough to stay alive
Chunk of Ads = Become mildly popular (a few hundred players online)
Insane amount of Ads = Leaves an impression on the platform about your game, could potentially be noticed by the roblox algorithm.

It’s pretty much like this unless if your game is super good (Bloxburg, Jailbreak) or super bad (baseplate ;P)

1 Like

ZO is pretty similar to my game: hitboxing (we both use RayCast hitbox module), dash (I was going to use the same one since it is in an unpopular YT tutorial, but decided to do my own one) and blocking (I use dodging instead since it is more original, draining stamina instead of health). I think the main differences (in gameplay) are map (mine is much bigger), camera (I think I’ll use some smooth camera module or something to make it look cooler) and the currency system (in ZO players fight for skins and fun; in my game they would also fight for coins and bounty to encourage PvP).

What amount of Robux would reach those different ”ads levels”?

Thank you for replying!

Ok, first of all, I personally suggest to make your game have the same basic controls as ZO, I’m already used to it and I WILL NOT CHANGE IT. You could add a G key as super slash but for example dash will always be R. (Ofc the players can modify after but the starting one will be same as ZO basic one.)

Roblox takes your game’s plays, CTR, likes, favorates, play length and income to decide if they should put you in the search result/up-and-coming/trending genres.
I think 15K in total is enough for a “noticed game”.
50K would be an “important game”.

I don’t want to make a copy of ZO so I won’t be copying the controls. Different game have different controls (in ZO dash is on R, in Combat Warriors is on E, in GPO is on Q; in HOLDFAST! is on E), I just made a simple comparison.

Thank you for replying!

Alright, but remember, map size doesn’t matter, it’s the quality and general experience

1 Like

I didn’t say its better, I actually would like to have a smaller map but I’ll leave it like this to have a bigger server size.

Thank you for replying!

May I be your Alpha game tester? :smiley: I can give you specific reports.
(in case your game gets popular I would love to have a cool in-game tag/sword ;P)

1 Like

I made a topic for game testing (which I think you replied) so I got a lot of testers, but, of course, you can be a tester too and I’d appreciate that (since I actually need feedback). Most of the bugs are fixed (or being fixed at the moment) as well as I add new features daily.

Thank you!

I prefer to run multiple small ads to grow a playerbase over time.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to load the game for the past 3 minutes despite my device and internet connection being above-average. I’m 99% sure that’s the reason why your game isn’t able to maintain players. Most players will lose interest within 20-30 seconds of loading, let alone 3 minutes. I suggest you heavily focus on testing the game on other devices and try making it load as quick as possible. Because it doesn’t matter how many features you add, if the player cannot load into your game then it will all be for nothing.

1 Like

Did this strat worked for you in the past? How much should I put per day and along how many days?

Thank you for replying!