Can't open my place via website anymore: "Launch Task EditPlace requires valid -placeId"

Reproduction Steps

Try to open a place via the Places list on the website (Create - Roblox)

Expected Behavior

Since Studio doesn’t (yet) allow me to open a SECONDARY PLACE directly, I need to go to the list of places via the website and click on the “Edit” button of the chosen place so that Studio can open it directly.
This has worked UNTIL TODAY.

Actual Behavior

Today this error started. When I click the “Edit” button on the website, Studio opens with this error:
yD7HnJ257J

Workaround

Now I need to go through the boring steps to be able to open a secondary place.

1. Open Studio
  2. Click on “My Games”
  3. Click on the game (main place)
  4. Click on “View”
  5. Click on “Asset Manager”
  6. Click on “Places”
  7. Click on the secondary place I want to open
  8. Close the “Asset Manager” window

I already opened a Studio Feature request over a year ago for this:

But so far, nothing…

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Crashing
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-08-30 00:08:00 (-03:00)

28 Likes

yes, i ran into the same problem like this . what is going on? old games can still edit but my new games i cant.

4 Likes

I learned today that I can directly open non-start places using studio list mode. Full Release and Changes for List Mode for Studio

2 Likes

I have been getting the same problem today. I get that error even if I click Edit on the website on the Experiences list. Same thing with the Places tab. This is happening for both my personal games and group-owned games, so the only way I can edit a game is from studio directly.

vouch i’ve also ran into this issue yesterday and still has persisted despite:
restarting pc
reinstalling studio

other games work perfectly fine until it’s under the specific bugged experience

@Enyberu @SimplyRemove
You can have a shortcut to open the place directly:

https://www.roblox.com/home?editPlaceId=12345 (replace 12345 with your Place Id)

Or as I said here:

2 Likes

also happening to me, cant edit new place.
this might be an unrelated error but whenever I test play the place it also crashes.
this is also happening on multiple computers as I’ve tried using a different one.

1 Like

it is happening to me as well. I’m guessing it’s a Roblox issue but I’m not sure what it has to do with memory services. Can’t access some of my group places.

2 Likes

we’re also getting this issue in every one of our games - definitely not a fan of having to go through our production copy just to get to the sub places now.

2 Likes

I’m also experiencing this same exact thing. I try to open up a place through the website like how you did but within my game and receive the same message. There’s no other option besides opening a recent recovery file and opening the game through there which is very annoying each time.

1 Like

Vouch. Running into this problem currently

1 Like

Running into this as well. Looks like this was broken in the most recent studio update on 8/31/2022.

Had some luck opening places that are giving this error by going onto the place itself (where thumbnails and description are) and launching edit from there rather than develop

2 Likes

This happened to me as well, when I click on the place it directs me to the Start Place and on top it says (This place is part of the ‘start place name’).

A temporary solution: For some reason, if you still click on the 3 dots and click Edit, it will open the sub-place normally (as seen in the photo).

I believe it used to look better before and it was easier to edit the information of the sub-place before since it used to open the place individually as a page of its own. I really hope they change it back to the way it was.

A suggestion: Revert it like it used to be before, the sub-place had its own page on the website where you can edit it and do everything normally, also maybe add the “Places” tab in studio, especially for group games? It’s not efficient to open sub-places from the asset manager by going inside the start place.

Note: Also, on dark mode, you can barely see the text written above (as seen in the photo).

Still happening to me. Can’t work on a subplace because of it… also not sure if this is a related issue but opening a subplace from the Asset menu also has issues. It keeps asking me to log in to roblox even though I’m logged in, and when I login it still doesnt work

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing this. However, I am not glad that this is an ongoing issue. Really makes life inconvenient since I now can’t edit the new “Pro servers” for my game (especially considering I just composed a new OST for it just yesterday)

1 Like

Thanks for the report. We will look into it. In the meantime you can work around it by using the solutions above - studio list mode or via the game details | three dots menu.

8 Likes

Does this mean the - accessible - Develop/Create tabs and page is going to be removed?
Whenever something breaks or becomes ‘semi-forcibly’ less usable on ROBLOX, it’s usually a sign of the specific feature getting either removed or replaced.

Assuming something broke while converting or migrating to the rather stuffed and currently complicated dashboard, as the Develop/Create page still used the older site format and will likely be converted :frowning:

The creator dashboard will eventually replace the create page entirely (some devs appreciate that the page is finally getting a new look) but that will hopefully not happen until the dashboard has all the features needed to maintain the offerings of the create page. I assume the create button on the overhead tab on the website will eventually take you to the dashboard so that you won’t need to search for the dashboard on the web every time. It will basically work similar to YouTube Studio.

1 Like

I’m still experiencing this issue, the workaround does appear to work, though it is greatly affecting workflow given I’m working with multiple place files, attempting to open a place via Asset Manager crashes my studio.

1 Like