Can't open studio without requiring a login

Studio keeps demanding I login everytime I try to open it

It occurs about 50% of the time and doesn’t stop once it’s appeared, and for someone like me who has a long password, it’s incredibly frustrating. I’m logged in on the website, all the logged in devices are my own devices, so unsure why it keeps asking for me to login

8 Likes

To me it even makes me login 2 times. The first one results into an “Internal server error” (although I receive the e-mail for when someone logs into your account), the second works fine. Pretty annoying.

1 Like

Have you tried opening the game through the website? If it’s a place file you’re trying to open, try opening a random game on the website first.

2 Likes

I had Studio sign me out for some reason earlier today, while I remained signed in on the website. I simply logged back in to Studio and haven’t had any further problems.

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket in our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

5 Likes

Have you tried using the “another logged in device option”? This would also save you from entering your password.

I’ve tried that before and it doesn’t work, don’t think I’ve ever managed to get it to work. On occassion it’ll ask me to login thru the browser, which is easier as I’m already logged in, but still time consuming

2 Likes

Hi - we had adjusted some parameters to make this less frequent - can you let us know if your experience is still the same here?

Seems to be worse for me. Requires me to put in password now. I used to be able to (sometimes) choose login via browser, which is quicker.

Just annoying as my password is super long and random, so not easy to just punch out constantly. Especially since Roblox logs me out every time I turn my VPN on/off

What’s your experience connecting w/ or w/o VPN multiple times? Multiple instances starting?

Generally turning on VPN can invalidate the credentials previously applied depending on where the resulting IP for the next transaction appears to be located.

Anyime I turn a VPN on I get logged out. I used to be able to just close all Roblox instances and turn it on, then open Roblox, I’d be kept logged in, but now no matter what I do, I’m force log out, which means I need to log back in on website + studio which becomes really infuriating

I normally wait for the login thru website option, but now that isn’t working

And from the studio login, the login from another device has never worked. I scan the QR code, it opens the Roblox app, then just says we couldn’t match your location to the device trying to login (cause VPN is on PC, not phone)

So what’s happening here is most likely you VPN is geolocating you somewhere else and we’re cancelling the credentials - prior to this (around a year ago) the credentials for Studio could “walk” anywhere else on the planet meaning a) you would see the behavior you describe of VPN staying logged in, and b) if someone managed to lift the credential file they could also run it anywhere.

We now use a much more strict system for security purposes so (b) can’t happen. This means that VPN can possibly (not always) invalidate your login. The same logic is in play for both Web & Studio, so both are going to require login. This is not just a Roblox thing - many companies will have the same policy depending on how strictly they enforce things.

If possible, a VPN egress point that’s close to home may yield a better result - but this is not a guarantee as our rules may flag network jumps as requiring additional security.

I will say that if you always hit Studio from the VPN, then you shouldn’t see this. It’s the network transitions that cause the issue.

1 Like

I toggle my VPN on purely to utilize US streaming services, so closer location ain’t really gonna work when I live in Australia.

Ok, well I’m afraid there’s not a lot we can do to resolve your use case at this time. Thanks.

Does the same for me but less frequently

I have consistently been logged out of Studio from around 16/1/2024 onwards. I will get an error message as attached. Occasionally, it’ll take several tries to log in before it actually logs me in. I am not using a VPN.

2 Likes