Can't scroll on new documentation site on Chrome

Reproduction Steps

1. Open google chrome
2. Go to documentation website
3. Scroll far enough to reach a new chapter (i.e. it becomes highlighted on the side after scrolling to it)

This happens regardless of the way you scroll, unless it’s an instant scroll (or clicking and holding the scroll bar, for whatever reason works fine), such as clicking on the chapter directly won’t reset the scroll, until you scroll.

I’ve been able to reproduce it across every page I’ve visited using these methods

• Mouse scroll wheel
  • Up and down arrow keys
  • Page up and page down
  • Clicking the arrow above and beneath the scroll bar

Expected Behavior

Scroll to work (as it does on firefox)

57wrx_144791

Actual Behavior

Scroll is consistently reset to the top of the page

p0uxli_144781

Chrome version is: Version 106.0.5249.119 (64 bit)

I disabled all extensions before reporting this, and it still happened, even in an incognito window. This seems to only happen when scrolling to a new chapter in the page as you can click to a specific chapter, but when you scroll to a new one it resets. This happens regardless of scroll direction.

At first I thought it would be my extensions, so I disabled all of them, it still happened. Then I tried in an incognito window, also had the same problem. At that point my chrome also had an update, so I updated chrome (which restarted it as well) and the issue persisted on the latest version of chrome and after restarting the browser.

It did work before, but I haven’t visited the new documentation site in a while and I don’t know when this issue started.

Workaround

Using a different browser here’s the one’s I’ve tested to be working:

• Firefox
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Waterfox
  • Opera GX
  • Opera

Issue Area: Documentation Site
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2022-10-18 12:10:00 (-04:00)

5 Likes

Hi, thanks for the report! However, I can’t replicate on my chrome. Can you try to clear your chrome browser data?

I tried clearing cookies, cache, all site settings, and app data and it still didn’t seem to work.

I’m actually having the exact same issue while also using Chrome. I am not sure when this started but as of today it is not working.

@aichiluoboya

This is still an issue with no response. Looking for other topics relating to this but in the meantime, I wanted to update this post to say that this is still an unresolved issue for at least myself.

@steven4547466 has this been resolved for you?

I’ve been experiencing this issue and have discovered that the flag #enable-experimental-web-platform-features seems to cause this on Chromium-based browsers (only tested: Chrome and Edge)

Disabling this flag (it should be disabled unless you’ve manually enabled it through chrome://flags) fixed the issue for me.

1 Like

Howdy y’all. It’s been a while since other reports of this behavior. This does seem to be something from the Chromium side rather than something specific with the doc site. I’ll go ahead and close this thread for now.

If you still see any unexpected behavior, feel free to open a new bug with the similar repro steps and we’ll see what we can do. Thanks for flagging!