Captures APIs are now available!

@TheGamer101 are the currently available APIs sufficient for creating an in-game camera app that allows users to save photos they take to a persistent in-game gallery?

3 Likes

Is it possible to use the temporary ContentId within a custom teleport gui, in order to replicate the way games like Half-Life show a freeze-frame when transitioning between levels?

4 Likes

realtime postfx

until we get actual shaders to run on here, anything “realtime postfx” related will never happen
the main bottleneck is when the graphics API requests the GPU to synchronize to pull the viewport image
on my system, a 1200x1200 screenshot takes 0.10 seconds

2 Likes

This is a very cool demo! We absolutely want to improve the performance of the API in future iterations, so that calling the API a few times rapidly in succession would be possible. There will likely still be some delay before the image is available depending on the device, but we already have a ticket in the backlog to improve this in the near future.

11 Likes

No thanks
I can see this leading to a lot of developers starting video recordings all the time
Which would make roblox barely run

3 Likes

I wonder when we will be able to do recordings of the in-game experience with better quality than there is today.
Right now it’s better to use OBS instead of roblox’s built-in pixelated video recording.

Picture-taking is also a nice feature, but video is more used.

4 Likes

-- taking a screenshot every frame in the name of post processing is atrocious, especially since your shader code is going to be written in lua and processed entirely on the cpu

2 Likes

My question is will this allow the captured screenshots to be displayed in game, via image labels or decals.

2 Likes

that already exists iirc, i think its the f12 key

1 Like

that’s one way to be extremely aggressive for no reason… I agree with what they said, single screenshots aren’t really that useful because anyone can take a screenshot… Now we can just ask them to take one :skull: Obviously video recordings will take more time and power. nobody was whining

4 Likes

This is a cool use of this feature and until we have actual post-processing, this is what we can do to get it even if it’s just for fun. idk why you’re so judgemental

1 Like

Sadly that only records in 240P or something.
Roblox should allow 4K if they want to up their game on social platforms.
Right now 3-party tools like OBS are required to get a decent video.

1 Like

Keep cooking roblox, keep on cooking :fried_egg:

2 Likes

-- it is not a cool use of this feature. this is just not a good way to do post processing at all, just 'cause it’s a thing you can do doesn’t mean it’s a solution at all

2 Likes

-- anyone can record a video too, nearly every brand of phone comes with a built in screen recorder. auto screenshots and just being able to remove ui during screenshots is just an actually useful feature. shutting it down immediately because it’s not a completely different feature you wanted doesn’t really improve anything, especially when that feature is just an overcomplicated mess

2 Likes

Absolutely love this API format; since it allows me to capture several key moments during a match, pick the best one programatically, and allow the user to save at the end.

2 Likes

its not thumbnailgenerator:click but it’s damn close enough
whens the real deal

3 Likes

Didn’t see this mentioned, but what’s the expected resolution of the captures compared to the original screensize? It’s probably being down scaled, but knowing how much/by what factor would be nice

2 Likes

Roblox already has a feature in their in-game reporting system where you can capture a screenshot alongside a report.

Finally :pray: . This will be awesome