Captures APIs are now available!

The built-in video recorder is literally just sped up stop motion.

2 Likes

Will this feature ever allow an experience to force a screenshot and use it in-experience directly? An example would be some sort of photography experience where photos are important. This would be important in situations in which you want to verify that that specific user has taken that screenshot and not some re-upload.

(By force, I just mean to force a screenshot and then prompt the user if it’s okay to keep and use, then having it moderate and be able to be used directly in that experience. I’d prefer if it would moderate on their account, both so that they can see it before moderation is complete, and also so that the experience doesn’t get moderated for something a user has done. This, however, is why prompting the user to approve is important so that an experience can’t try to frame a user by forcefully taking a screenshot of something inappropriate. I think that prompt should also warn the user that the screenshot will be moderated on their account if they accept it, and obviously this would show a preview of it.)

1 Like

I am very much aware that they are different systems. I am simply saying that expanding this to captures would greatly increase how much this feature actually gets used and implemented into games, and would make sharing content a lot more successful.

I think that screenshots is a great start im not complaining about this, im simply giving me feedback about how this feature could be improved in the long term.

I feel like the built in video recorder could be better regardless. I doubt the technology behind it has changed. Imagine the improvements and optimisations that could be made to get it good and running fine. Even on mobile devices

1 Like

Awesome update - enables tons of new possibilities the original ScreenshotHud API couldn’t support :pray:

18 Likes

This is very cool! Hope to see this expand to more platforms :smiley:
Also, how do a user toggle content sharing in their account? Is it rather determined by their age & country + whether “Captures” has been enabled yet? How do we determine if Captures is enabled already, since it is not available for desktop players at the moment?

8 Likes

But on studio (for me) there is alerdy capture

2 Likes

hope this comes to pc soon cuz its lit

1 Like

@TheGamer101 I noticed one thing with the images from CaptureService is that it looks really low quality. Did I do something wrong or is it intentional? Is there a way to get a higher resolution of the capture?

2 Likes

wth assistant believes screenshots are a instance type you can get with CaptureService:CaptureScreenshot() and then you can Screenshot:SaveAsync(name:string,format:Enum.ImageFormat) to save it.
:rofl: never believe in assistant again :rofl:

-- comment
local captureService = game:GetService("CaptureService")
-- comment
local screenshot = captureService:CaptureScreenshot()
-- comment
screenshot:SaveAsync("screenshot.png", Enum.ImageFormat.PNG)

i didnt ask her in english bc idk thats why i didnt put comments but yeah you understand how bad assisntant is lol

1 Like

Purposefully crashing or lagging devices is against ToS, somewhere in there.

It probably made it up to furfill your request. It doesn’t know about this service since it is new.

AI spreading misinformation as always

It would be really awesome if there was a “stream option” that people can watch a particular game on a set server… like watching an event or battle competition.
In other words, 1000’s of viewers can watch players in a single game, and not locked to the maximum of 200.

This is without the need for the game owners having to stream a game.
For certain challenge sensitive games, that this could spoil, it should be opted in… just like players are informed with Mic or Video available on the games.

This will greatly increase competitiveness & more activity… imo.

wasn’t 700 largest player limit on roblox servers?

yeah

3 Likes

But in some game engines that’s actually a thing lol (like unity lol)

2 Likes

I’ve seen this question asked twice with no response, and it is the biggest question I have on my mind:
Will there be the ability to pass in a camera object to the function, or a separate function/API, that will allow pictures to be taken from the camera’s POV instead of the player’s POV? While you can manually set the player’s camera CFrame, this is very intrusive and not always a viable option.

2 Likes

Here’s a module that describes the roblox assistant:
:123:
shader v0.rbxm

1 Like

How can I know that my sent capture with invite link was used to join the experience? in order to award the player that sent the invite.

2 Likes

Enabling rendering an image efficiently from an arbitrary Camera Instance presents technical challenges that were beyond the scope of this initial release.

Although we aren’t currently working on this, we may investigate the feasibility of this for future versions of the API given that there are a lot of good use cases.

8 Likes