Captures APIs are now available!

Completely understand. I am very excited to see what y’all come up with. I have so many ideas for using a capture service from a camera/part/CFrame/whatever proves to be the easiest to implement. These recent releases have been fire. Keep up the good work. :+1:

1 Like

Is there any way to clear these temporary ids from memory? I would assume as more and more screenshots are taken, more and more memory will be used by temporary assets. A developer activated way to just clear unused temporary assets would be ideal.

5 Likes

sad you dont have high quality and the ability to capture faster and using another camera to capture neither, but that’s a bit too much for a recently released feature, I’m sure it’ll have lot more features to come!

this isnt spam just in case someone flags me again

It appears that this does not currently work for developer activated captures, instead always capturing the CoreGui and other guis within the captured image; will this be supported in the future?

6 Likes

-- look into developer deeplinking, the invite includes a launchData string

1 Like

Can you pls make an example for
Capture:CaptureScreenshot()
I always get an error. Idk how to use it correct.

1 Like

When I saw this, I thought, finally! We can have an API to take in-game captures and save them to a buffer that can be reused? But it’s not that. But I was hoping for something streamlined instead of the hacky ways we have to develop a capture system

This is a good point, I think we can follow up with an API to unload unused temporary captures explicitly for use cases where many captures are being taken. If a Capture is saved by the user we will unload the temporary data and point the temporary id to the saved Capture but it would be good to free Captures without using the prompt.

2 Likes

hey thats impresive, what is the code to do something like that

What is with lots of new feature being blocked off to 13+ users. There have been several decent changes recently, this one included, but why block off half the platform from using them? I can get behind voice chat being blocked off but notifications and now screenshots? All it does is make them less valuable for a developer to implement. Not to mention people can already take screenshots through any mobile device as it is so restricting half the platform is practically pointless.

9 Likes

On top of this, are there any plans to allow screenshots to ignore certain player UIs? Currently captures take multiple visible frames to screen-shot and that means I need to visibly remove many UIs from the screen. The ScreenshotHud option does not suffice as it does not work for developer calls to the API nor does it allow me to show some UIs.

1 Like

well, Roblox is an online game, I guess that’s why.

1 Like

https://devforum.roblox.com/uploads/short-url/agSSuF3VPZ3NPaawdOLbCD8rD8d.rbxm
(put ‘Modules’ on ReplicatedStorage and the script on StarterPlayerScripts)

also this is clearly related, i have proof:

2 Likes

Oh that’s cool…teach me how to do that please!

1 Like

I think only the sharing is forbidden?

1 Like

hint: contentID is an ImageID so you can use them in EditableImages below ImageLabels.

3 Likes

-- curse those darn child online safety laws

1 Like

Its not oof its “eh” now

Xtra txt

1 Like

I would agree with this, but if we’re being real…image moderation would be an issue if you’re making the client send to the server and publish it.

A reminder to use sanity checks.

2 Likes

Hi

What is counted as a session? Session ends as player leaves?
Is the temporary contentid available server-side?

Documentation is very bare-bones. More info would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 Likes