Carrying Over Data - Question

Hey everyone!

I’m Flamingles and I am currently, as one of my side projects, in the process of making a minigame. My question is based around carrying over data.

Usually, when making a game, you keep track with leaderboards and datastores, right? How would this work with said minigame?

My general idea is a lobby that gathers players, puts them in groups and teleports them (which I already made). Then, the player is sorted into a minigame, and if he wins, he gets teleported back to the lobby.

The problem arises when you realize if you give the players points at the end of the minigame, they won’t transition to the lobby game, in which the player can buy power-ups. Both of these ideas are stressful for me - I mostly work with animations, character scripting, etc. and I never had a chance to learn about any of this.

TL;DR: How would values and tools / humanoid statistics carry over from the main game, to the minigame, and back? I realize this probably sounds really stupid, but I felt like I needed to ask…

3 Likes

Any place within the same universe (game) as your lobby will be able to access the same data store nodes. You can save your data to the data store service and then the lobby will be able to access it.

You can read more about datastore service here.

3 Likes

Oh man, I am only now realizing the issue. Forgot the DataStores worked that way, it was the loading / implementation part I had a problem with, as in actually using them to change the gameplay.

Thanks for the link, I should find it there. Hope the original post didn’t sound too silly.

2 Likes