Categories to Plan for Game Outline

I’m currently planning my game and would like some feedback on what to plan. I’ve outlined quite a few categories that all contain more in-depth features. For example:

Features

• Marketplace

I would like to know what categories I might have missed. (Stuff like features above, not the marketplace or sub-category). If I haven’t please reply or like the post so I know I’ve thoroughly thought out each element of the game I need to plan. If I’ve missed something, please tell me what category(s) I need to plan.

List of current categories I’ve planned:

• Game & Development Information - Description of game, settings of game, general layout of development

• Game Mechanics & Fundamentals - How the game interacts with the player and the end-goal of the game.

• Gameplay - How the game is to be played. Game modes, etc…

• Elements of the Game - Features such as a marketplace, shop, and systems.

• Maps & Lobby - Blueprints of maps and lobby along with how they’ll be designed.

• In-game Items - Items such as skins, pets, etc…

• Player Experience - How will the player enjoy the game keeping them coming back?

• Update Features - Ideas for future updates

• Player Engagement - How players will interact with each other.

• Conclusion - Advertisement plan, backup plans if game fails.

Well, I’m assuming this is a big game considering the amount of categories.

Generally everything looks fine to me, however there is a few things that I would add. I’m not sure what the genre of the game is, so my suggestions could be discredited.

UI Design and Usability

The UI design of all games are essential. The interface must make sure the player and the game communicate well with one another and fit. They need to be well thought out and planed so that the player can follow the game easily without confusion. This ensures that players get consistent feedback throughout the game. You might have already planned this in another category, so I apologize if so!

Usability may not be vital for you, but it is important for large projects. This part of the category is similar to a final checklist and design requirements. Essentially, the goal is to improve on every aspect of the game and write down any weak points of the game through feedback. This is to ensure the player does not get confused with an aspect of the game and is polished.

Artwork and Concepts

Similar to the UI of the game, artwork is very important. This category plans out how each game thumbnail or icon will look, and any concept art that will enable you to visualize an important aspect of the game to see its feasibility. Your concept art and sketches can also be passed down to an artist you may hire, they can then improve on the art and you will not have to rely on their ideas. This might seem useless, however in the gaming industry its very important.

Finale

Anyways, that’s all I have to offer to the table! If you’ve already planned this out, then I think you should be greenlit and ready to go. If your game has a story and has missions, you may need to consider a Level Design category. You may also need descriptions for each environment such as the time of day, weather, or even music.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll definitely use them. Every category listed in my original post is what’s been created. Everything you’ve suggestion is new and a great addition.

1 Like

Adding to this, MUSIC!

Very important to the game, ambience, sound effects, everything. It’s often overlooked in development, so make sure you remember about music and SFX.

1 Like

I would suggest researching how to make game design documents, as well as paper prototyping. I would explain it here, but there is a lot to cover.
Here are some resources:

How to write a game doc/game doc template: Game Design Document Template

Paper prototyping: Paper Prototyping: The 10-Minute Practical Guide

1 Like