Certain Decals cause freezes and graphical corruption on iPad Mini Gen 2

Reproduction Steps
We recently started testing our title on lower-end iOS device, such as the iPad Mini 2G. We were hoping to identify framerate issues and profile to resolve them, but the game consistently freezes in our lobby. After some experimentation, we tracked the freeze down to one specific decal. I’ve created an otherwise empty place that reproduces this freeze - you simply need to join on a low-end iOS device and it will freeze within a few seconds of playing/panning the camera and/or moving. I expect it not to freeze with a single decal. The decal in question is the one that says ‘Obby’ - the second decal, at the top of the doorway, doesn’t appear to suffer from the same issue - deleting the obby decal only resolves the freeze, though I am worried that resolving one case will only reveal other cases.

Open one of the linked places on an iPad Mini 2nd Generation, and run towards the gate shown - Roblox will completely freeze, and possibly show a flickering effect which looks like a buffer swap. This occurs 100% of the time if this decal is within render range, within 10 seconds. Removing the decal resolves the freeze.

Simple test place: DecalCrashTest - Roblox
Link to asset: Images/Image - Roblox

Expected Behavior
Expect the game not to freeze.

Actual Behavior
Game freezes and graphical glitches occur. Unable to interact.

Workaround
Removing this decal should resolve it, but I am now worried about other decals we use. Identifying each individual problematic decal is going to be time consuming.

Issue Area: Mobile App
Issue Type: Freezing
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
A private message is associated with this bug report

1 Like

Hello,
Thanks for reporting the issue. Looking at the texture, it has non-power of two (NPOT) dimension, i.e. 512x264. There’s varying level of support depending on devices/drivers/OS combination. I wonder what is the iOS version for iPad Mini 2nd generation?

We’ve already applied some workaround for this, it’d be great if you can verify whether it’s working now or not.

The best way is to size the texture to have power-of-two dimensions (512x256 in this particular case) since most drivers should have power-of-two dimensions correctly.

1 Like

Hi,

The issue is actually a bit more complicated.
The freeze only happens if the decal overlays a neon part.
In this case, the neon part being the doorway. If I change the neon part to a plastic part (or foil, or other material - I didn’t try them all), it no longer freezes, indicating the problem is not the decal itself, but some interaction of neons and decals.

(Sorry for the delay in replying, I didn’t receive a notification that there had been a reply!)

Thanks,
Gareth

Interesting, I was able to repro the crash/freeze with just that decal in the place. This should have been fixed/worked around, I wonder if you can try again? Thanks.

Hi, it does now appear to work correctly.
Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.