Certain players fall through terrain water when seated

When certain players sit on a boat that is floating on terrain water, the boat falls through the water, ignoring water physics, as if the CanCollide property of all the parts of the boat and character was set to false. I don’t however change that property and neither do I change the collision group of any of the parts.

This issue started occurring when I made an update which sets the network ownership of the boat’s primary part to the player that sits on the boat. I need this in order to remove the input delay of the boat’s control.

It occurs in my game Pilfering Pirates for certain players. These players are complaining in my group that their boat falls through the water no matter which server they join. Some of them are saying that it falls straight through the water whereas others are saying it sinks for a couple seconds, resurfaces, and then sinks again.

I am unable to reproduce this bug. I have tried setting my CharacterAppearanceId to one of the players in both a live server and studio, PC and mobile, but it did not mimic the bug. It seems to only affect a small portion of the players.

Edit - I got into contact with a few of the affected users and they all reported being on Mac, which would explain why I was unable to reproduce the bug. It seems to be related to update 460/461

I managed to follow an affected user into the game and record the bug happening:

Notice how both the player and the boat float when they are separated. They only sink if the player is seated on the boat. Also notice how other players float completely fine, and how the boat stops sinking about halfway — implying it’s not an issue with the weight of the parts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.