Change permissions to be based upon age-verification

The only real place that verification should be in is if a minor is reported. That would make the devforum much more accessible, yet if they are found to be a minor they’ll be reported. What if they just joined the forum to post in scripting support, and now they have to verify. I am sure not many users want to verify to talk on the devforum.

5 Likes

Nobody posts NSFW anyways, and if they do they get banned on Roblox and devforum, so yeah.

1 Like

But the point is, the current proposal is draconian and tyrranical on so many different levels.

The idea of ID verification isn’t that bad when you use it in a way like @alexfinger21 mentioned, to ensure potentially underage users are legitimately overage.

However, the “unlock more” way that verification is being used in the proposal makes it unnecessary.

4 Likes

This is ridiculous. Why would I want that? This proposal is not any of those and I really suggest taking some time and maybe even touching some grass if this is a tyranny to you. It’s an online forum. Come on man.

1 Like

The worst part about this reply is that if you replace the subject from tyranny to having to provide ID it makes just as much sense. Yes, this is just an online forum. If not requiring ID for what is just an online forum sounds weird I also suggest touching some grass.

5 Likes

would be smart but im 13 and dont even have an id as far as i know so i will just not be able to talk in some parts because i cant prove my age. :confused:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a totally crazy concept to require ID to verify your age. Take away the fact that this is being used for verification for a forum, and it makes sense. You need to show your ID at a bar to get a drink. You need to show your ID (or some sort of verification) to get a driver’s permit.

Roblox is using ID verification to confirm a user is 13+, simple as that. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but saying that this feature is used solely for the forum is bullshit, this feature exists on Roblox to verify a user is actually the age they say they are and giving them proper permissions. I’m simply asking Roblox to include the forum on the numerous other features that will likely be behind this ID verification wall. (Likely DevEx too!)

¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

By first stating that the ID makes sense if you remove context, but then give examples that only make sense with context there’s a pretty big contradiction here. Not to mention browsing a forum is not a potentially life altering action like consuming a drug or maneuvering a large chunk of metal at high speeds.

This is just a strawman. It was never a question of whether it’ll be forum only, it was one of whether people actually want or need it on the forum.

An unrelated addition of friction that only further complicates an already working process that uses required government tax information.

1 Like

The only question I have is that if ID verification is added, will it automatically set everyone’s account to being under 13 until they verify?

For example my account currently has the +13, will that be removed once ID verification is added? (It will feel a bit weird to have the status removed after having the account being +13 for so long)

1 Like

Again, I have to agree, this change that @FxllenCode is imposing is tyrannical, and the forum will die if any sort of ID is required for some DevForum features.

That’s completely different, those activities have a lasting impact, being on an online forum does not have a lasting impact. This comparison doesn’t make sense.

Exactly.

I’m against any ID verification for ANY Roblox service, whether it’s Roblox, DevEx, DevForum etc.

1 Like

Hun, you’re giving away way more sensitive data than your ID for devex.

3 Likes

Although I disagree with it being required for the forum, ID verification is necessary for DevEx to prevent fraud.

1 Like

Other platforms that involve taking money out (such as AdSense) don’t ask for your ID so why should DevEx?

It’s another layer of safety and security. Although it is not required of Roblox to ask users to submit an ID, it’s always a smart idea as a company to do this to ensure integrity.

And I’m pretty sure AdSense also asks for ID verification sometimes.

Overall, I’m fine with age verification being required to prevent fraud and such, but it serves no purpose on this development forum.

3 Likes

Because sensitive details are necessary to pay you and ensure that no one is committing tax fraud… AdSense requires ID too.

1 Like

The Developer forum doesn’t do a lot to incentivise ‘normal players’ or <13 users. If anything, Announcement and Discussion are really the only categories that to a larger extent encourage and/or are flooded by these interactions.

The point is we should be focusing on removing the incentives and not closing barriers for development opportunities on the forum. Everyone is subject to different circumstances regarding this feature, i.e. whether or not such a feature will hinder actual development opportunities due to legitimate personal reasons.
A lot of people are forgetting that this issue is part of the deeper-rooted problem where its prevalent that underage/wrong audiences are joining the forum, so I understand it feels almost necessary to impose a stricter enrolment process, yet difficult to conveniently offer this solution to work for everyone.

2 Likes

Barring people who are not willing to disclose confidential information from accessing features which they should otherwise be able to use seems like an unnecessary barrier. TL2 should be awarded on the basis that a user is familiar with the forum and can be trusted to act responsibly and maturely. Additionally, they should be diligent and trustworthy. They need to have shown they can be trusted to file bug reports correctly. They should also be an active contributor to the forum. Enforcing an age requirement does not solve most of these issues.

5 Likes

I think there’s an ageless tradition of posts on this subcategory discussing the moderation of this forum in relation to underage accounts or rule breaking users. The forum is moderated and these posts often come redundant.

In my complete response to this topic, you are taking out all the underage in exchange for a lot of individuals who could have contributed to the forum, if they had an ID to show or consented to it. Some don’t have the trust like you do in this.

You will find immature and mature discussions regardless of what portion of users you find underaged or “common”. Flag what you find inappropriate.

Weak argument point, what if those users are 13+ and prove their identity? You’re deterring some with development interest too.

4 Likes

Many people said this and I’m going to say it. Many over 13 developers, are great and not lazy, however they are uncomfortable of sharing their ID to a company! ROBLOX already made them unable to use voice chat for the foreseeable future. I could upload my passport right now if I wanted, yet I and I bet my parents to definitely don’t trust it in the hands of the internet. Going ahead with the ID method will put a stop to many bright developers. If we find an issue with under 13s talking about playing method, then ignore it. You shouldn’t put a stop to developers because of their wish not to share IDs.

6 Likes

Showing your ID to a bar is an obvious thing and there’s nearly no privacy issues there. You quickly show your ID to the bar man he checks D.O.B, done. It isn’t stored or taken a picture of. If they do take a picture it will be obvious, you can call the police situation done. No harm. Showing your ID to the internet may be ok for some people but for some the feeling of a picture of your ID being stored forever (likely) to the internet raises some concerns to them. Because if someone manages to hack it they can do harm before people realise and stop it. Much more complicated. For this reason many 13+ developers including me wish not to share our IDs. I agree in trying to stop under 13s coming here, but there’s nearly no 100% way to go. Showing your face = Some people uncomfortable ID = Many uncomfortable.

All in all, I think it should not be implemented.

3 Likes