Change the group name from "Programmers" to "Scripters"

“Sure, there’s a video game layered on top, but the real draw is…artists and animators and scripters”. Pretty sure they are implying that the story/plot/art was the main feat.

If we really want to argue over dictionaries…link1, link2, link3.

Honestly, it comes down to I would never write ‘scripter’ on my resume, I would write programmer. I’ve never heard anyone say ‘scripter’ outside of roblox.

In fact, as I’m typing this post I see the word ‘scripter’ is considered a typo to my browser, lol.

4 Likes

Looked up the article and @Vulkarin is correct, in that instance it refers to story/plot/scene/world writing (typically refers to visual scripting as well, the act of constructing and linking together NPC dialogue trees and actions and effects, not necessarily directly programming). Most triple A studios will refer to their programming staff members as programmers or developers or engineers.

Next time you share a source I recommend diving into it a bit further than surface level before throwing it into a discussion.

8 Likes

No, web developer covers the main front end languages like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and some main back ends, but does not even start to include most other languages. Web developer also refers to developing a website, while languages can be used for many other purposes.

I just can’t think of a mainstream programming language that isn’t Ruby, Python, Lua, or a front/back-end web development-related language.

Languages like Java, the C’s, R, Rust, Assembly, etc are all programming languages that are not typically associated with web development. (Some can be of course.)

Web developer refers to someone who develops websites, when in reality people use these languages for other tasks, making the term not apply to all programmers.

2 Likes

I think there should be a separate group for people that don’t know other languages which would be Scripters. Scripter is a very roblox word, Programmer makes me feel like I know more than I actually do, programmer in my mind means someone who understands most known languages out there; and Luau is such an specific and exclusive thing to Roblox that it feels weirdly; While yeah, in other places programmer is more recognizable, in Roblox it’s kind of the other way around. Here everyone will call programmers by SCRIPTERS.

Does it really affect you though? This is a forum meant for Roblox developers, so it doesn’t really matter if you know other languages or not. “Scripter” isn’t even formally recognized as a word, and completely undermines the ability of developers here.

1 Like

Programmer is the accurate word and is also the professional term for it (gameplay programming).

‘Scripting’ is not a word and is cringeworthy, and ‘coding’ is just insulting.

Changing the name isn’t perfect, But creating another optional role called Scripters, Maybe it could work perfectly.

Why though? The Programmers group already exists, I see no reason for there to be a new group. See the above replies for why.

1 Like

No support. A scripter is a programmer.
Have some pride, they’re not that different that you need to be called a juvenile Roblox-adopted term.

If you’re worried people will assume too much of you because of a preset title on a forum, put your experience in your bio so it shows on your user card.

3 Likes

I do think that the term of “Scripting/Scripter” used by Roblox for purpose in first place to tell/show people writing code in Roblox with Lua is easier than “programming”. At the end it’s same here but as a CS student I would prefer being called “Programmer”.