Change the group name from "Programmers" to "Scripters"

Edit: Solution gives a reason not to change the name. I’ve changed my mind, but I’ll leave the poll open just in case.

Now this is pretty small, but I still see it as a big enough request to write about.

The community generally calls us “Scripters”, not “Programmers”. Evidence in Recruitment:

Shouldn’t we use the term that the community tends to call us by?

As always, I’ll leave a poll here.

Should we change the name to “Scripter”?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

Although it’s pretty small since the majority of the community calls you scripters I wouldn’t mind if they changed it. It’s practically the same word, but I wouldn’t mind if it got changed.

2 Likes

Apparently they are the same terminology:

5 Likes

They are the same I just find programmers more professional.

2 Likes

Scripter is a term that can be used to specifically refer to anyone who codes in Lua on roblox, as it is a scripting language, while programmer usually refers to other languages as mentioned in the post above.

Currently this group allows both Lua and non-Lua programmers to have a title, as changing it to Scripters would not represent all of us developers who code in languages other than the main scripting languages (Python, Ruby, and on roblox Lua).

7 Likes

I can’t see much of a difference between scripter and programmer, imo scripter is a colloquial word of programmer, which is easier to type, but other than that, it’s no use.

I don’t think it matters whatsoever ngl.

1 Like

Doesn’t web developer cover other languages than what you wrote (and yes I know smaller non-web languages exist, but…)?

Scripter is not actually recognised as a word, whereas programmer is. This change would honestly make the role more informal and less accurate.

9 Likes

You seem to be right. Searching define:scripter returns no official blurb.

1 Like

No, because only Lua isn’t the only programming language people use on the forum-people use JS for bots and things like that. Programmer is a much more general term and a better term.

Although I have changed my mind, technically JS bots fall under the “Web Developer” category (since they are run on he web–correct me if I’m wrong)

1 Like

I guess that could be classified with both actually.
But web development is mostly the designs of websites, correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

It really does depend, some people see it as any front-end and back-end development involving the Internet, some people see it as websites only.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess you’re right. I haven’t looked at groups in a while (If you had a link it would be helpful if you sent it-).

http://devforum.roblox.com/g/Web_Developer

Note the description, this seems to fall into place perfectly with your JS bot example.

1 Like

Says who? Plenty of people recognize it as a word.

2 Likes

That’s referring to writing story/plot, not programming.

2 Likes

Read the underlined example; I don’t think Ubisoft is a play company. Other sources are more explicit if you need.

2 Likes
1 Like