Changes to Developer Forum trust level names

I have had my posts flagged before, but never suspended. Does this mean I can’t be promoted to Regular?

2 Likes

Glad to see! I’ve never been a fan of elitism and the old names felt like classic elitism. I’ve been a developer on Roblox since at least 2010, I proved my ability a long time ago on the old Forum. To than be called a “New Member” was honestly insulting in the context of ability.

I still disagree on measuring trust based on activity and disagree with calling trusted members regulars. A visitor at a coffee shop could be a regular, I still wouldn’t trust them behind the counter.

4 Likes

They only renamed the Trust Levels, there are no difference in permissions

Member has the same permissions as what New Member had
Regular has the same permissions as what Member had

5 Likes

Soo I go from being a New Member for life to a Member for life minus the new part! I feel official even though I visit regularly. Everything Roblox does is great! Can I have a solved check? I’m trying to learn enough to get a solved check under my belt. Not unlocking the forum for developers that keep coming back is a shame. You could probably literally be a member for life based on?

2 Likes

Agreed, however I feel like the name change could have used a less ambiguous name for regulars. That’s what several people seem to be pointing out.

1 Like

This question seems to have been lost in the noise. Wondering if we could get an answer on this?

2 Likes

Great update and all, new member was misleading as it implied either

• you were introduced to the devforum just recently, some users have been new members for years
  • you were new to development

Member just didn’t feel that much special.

But there are old, inactive accounts from before the whole new member system and the regular trust level for them is misleading as well.

What about a “Legacy” trust level for those OG users? They would have the same permissions as a Regular, but not as misleading

5 Likes

Exactly, I’ve been a member for a year exactly (I got my anniversary badge today) and I’m still recognized as a “New Member”.

2 Likes

I am quite new to the devforum and all that really goes on here. Anyways that would be really annoying if you have been on here for a year and still says new member even though there are people that just joined a day ago with that rank.

Your account was only registered since 2017, I believe the new member system was implemented before that.

I don’t know the forum history, but I believe the way it worked in 2016-2019 was you could send an application to be in the devforums, and then you’d have the new member (aka member) role. Before that though, it was just full member (aka regular), and there are a few inactive accounts from before the new member system.

1 Like

This forum is huge and there is a lot of legacy content/users, so it’s not possible to always make everything fully backwards-compatible/consistent with the current way the trust levels / forum permissions are managed every time an improvement is made. There will be people in Regular that do not belong there that aren’t active so they don’t come up on the radar, and there will be badly written feature requests / bug reports in Platform Feedback from many years ago. That’s just how it is with making changes like this. (fixing this would be much too invasive and time-consuming) What’s important is that there is good consistency going forward.

7 Likes

sry if someone writed something as this

Personally i dislike this, because when I compare New member and Member, I can see the difference. But when I compare Member and Regular, they look same. I think, that there are some better names as Member and Veteran member.

2 Likes

Because you’re used to “New Member” and “Member”. As time passes by, you’ll get used to “Member” and “Regular”. I am still used to the former trust level names as well.

As for this…

Being a regular doesn’t mean you are a veteran. I was accepted in January of last year through the activity-based system, and promoted to Regular on August of the same year. Only 7 months difference.
Fun fact, it’s been 7 months since that day :P

1 Like

THX for reading my post.
But still, when is someone new to developer forums, he can get confused, bec there isn’t big difference.

nah, they’ll get used to it. There will be newer people every day, people who probably never in their life heard about new member and member. All it takes is some time :+1:

2 Likes

Since nobody responded to this… I wouldn’t worry. As long as you don’t get flagged an excessive amount of times, your moderation record shouldn’t be an issue. Checking someone’s moderation record is mostly for people who get everything they make removed.

3 Likes

This was done a little bit ago, but I like this change a lot. I think it is less confusing for less experienced forum members. It also is relieving for clearing the “rank = developer’s skill” idea.

Great idea with this one.

1 Like

I agree. Think about it in real life.

Person 1: So what ranks does these two people have?

Person 2: This guy is a regular and the other one is a member.

Person 1: Cool, i’ll talk with the member then!

Person 2: Wait a second, thats not how it goes around here. Regular is above member…

Person 1: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

9 Likes

I actually appreciate the forum having these types of rank because the way I see it they installed it there so new forumers who have the rank as “visitors” can read the forums and the other reason this was made is to reduce bullying, scamming, or threats happening around roblox.
These ranks also help the forum in a way by reducing the bot activity around the community.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.