We’re back with some more changes to the Developer Forum: renaming our trust levels (forum ranks).
This is going to be a bit of a complicated change, so you’ll want to read this announcement pretty closely to understand what’s going on.
We’ve had the “New Member” and “Member” ranks for a while. The “New Member” rank came about when we started giving forum applicants partial access to the forum before receiving the full “Member” rank, so that they could learn to use the forum before being allowed to post everywhere without restrictions. Over time, the number of people in the “New Member” rank increased significantly because we have since automated access to the forum. However, many of the people in this rank are not actually “new” developers, and they may have been around on the forum for a long time already, so “New Member” tends to misrepresent these users.
Together with the Community Sages, we’ve come up with some names that we feel better suit the purpose of these two forum ranks.
The new names for these two ranks are “Member” and “Regular”:
- Member: This is now the default rank on the forum (after Visitor). Members can view (almost) all forum categories and can also participate in them, but some categories (such as Platform Feedback) require the user to go through Post Approval first.
- Regular: This is the rank that is given to active users who frequently make use of the Post-Approval-restricted categories of the forum and have a clean forum moderation record. Regulars are trusted enough to post in the restricted categories without needing approval first.
- Forum ranks are not related to development skills or any other qualities outside of forum posting permissions.
The “How to rank up” guide has already been updated to reflect these changes. If you see any outdated information, please post about it below or in the Forum Feedback category and we’ll update it.
Does this change anything about forum permissions or post approval?
- No, this change only affects how the two ranks are named.
Why are you making this change now?
- The goal of this change is to have the trust levels be named more accurately. The old “New Member” rank doesn’t properly reflect the trust level, as ranking up to the old “Member” rank didn’t entail just being around for a long time, and “New Members” were not necessarily new Roblox developers or new forum users.
We are making the change now because we think it is important that the trust level names accurately describe the users who are in the ranks, to avoid confusion and misrepresentation of users going forward.
It’s confusing that you’re reusing “Member” for the new name of the New Member rank; isn’t there a different term to use that doesn’t overlap?
We want to avoid needing to change the trust level names again in the future. The trust level names should be generic, simple phrases that are easy to understand.
We’ve looked at alternative names that do not use the “Member” terminology to avoid overlap with the previous trust level names, but we feel like this is the best, most impactful combination that will make sense for a long time.
We’re excited to see how this change impacts the forum and our community!