Changes to Developer Forum trust level names

A good change I been on the forms it says since 2015, but only sent and hot my application approved in 2018. I’m glad that “new member” is renamed.

2 Likes

I’m surprised of the amount of backlash over the changes. The trust level names make perfect sense. “Member” implies membership. “Regular” implies regular membership.

To progress from New Member → Member, it has always been a requirement to regularly contribute meaningful content. This has not changed except now the trust level names reflect the global rules and forum guidelines.

Users who were New Members were not always new. Members made no sense as a trust level because by definition everyone is a member. It was confusing to talk about new members to the devforum vs the trust level, members of the devforum vs the trust level, and so on.

This wouldn’t be a very good trust level name because it implies you’re a trusted user on the platform. The devforum is not an indicator of whether someone can be trusted or not, or is officially endorsed by Roblox. It’s easily misinterpreted.

16 Likes

You’re allowed to access the Discussion forum. You can also post and reply in it using the Post Approval process.

Using the PA system, (new) Members can post in all categories, bar the lounge. iirc (don’t quote me on this) they can even post in MRR; a category they can’t see.

2 Likes

In my point of view, this is another step further towards breaking the trust in the New Members… there is currently much tyranny between (now) Members and Regulars when it comes to permissions as we, as Members feel untrusted and unmotiavted to contribute more because we need to have a Post Approval member checking us on every mistake.

I don’t think on how this should be, that just because you’re more active on this forum you should be able to post bug reports, feature requests and see other categories we just can’t see.

3 Likes

This system is to prevent useless posts that have provide no benefit to anyone. You should be able to post in restricted categories when you get more active (e.g. Regular) because it’s pretty much demonstrating that you know how to use the forum correctly.

I’ve not encountered this issue yet, although the Post Approval process is fairly inconsistent. For example, I have ~4 threads from 3+ day ago but a thread I submitted more recently was read first. This is probably due to how many threads of that type are being put into PA, and the backlog they’re probably suffering from the numerous topics put through their system, which I can understand if that’s the case.

This is one thing I don’t understand, because surely these new names imply more trust? New Members seem inexperienced, but Member seems like you’re a full participant in a community. Regular is the same, but they visit more often, and contribute more.

5 Likes

That is exactly the issue at hand… it seems like Members think they are superior because they have more time in their life to reply to posts, and permissions-wise it seems just like it.

Post approval is long, frustrating and annoying, no one should go through it… if you came here to troll or don’t know what you’re talking about; Post approval should review the post after it has been created, warn the user, and with enough warnings to the user, kick them out.

The current system is simply not fit for the size of the Developer Forum.

4 Likes

If you’re dedicated enough to the community, then you should eventually get promoted to Regular. If you’re not, then you won’t.

Post Approval is frustrating, I agree. But there’s no poorly made posts in any of the PA categories, whereas in non-PA categories, there are several threads that either:

• Lack sufficient information
  • Provide no benefit to anyone
  • Were posted for the sake of posting

There are people who were mad at the prospect of people being allowed in the forum through an “easier” process, opposed to applying. This led to rants about how low quality posts had ruined the forum. The only compromise that both parties can agree on is going through a somewhat lengthy, but necessary approval process to prevent spam, or useless topics.

1. If there’s loads of posts in that category (people may start making loads of posts if it’s opened without an approval process), then they’ll spend more time removing useless topics than the current system.
  2. If the user is kicked out, he can just come back again anyways. And anyways, the system isn’t designed to punish people who aren’t capable of posting “good quality” posts, it’s a way of guiding people in the right direction for when they’re ranked up to Regular and they don’t have to go through the process anymore.
5 Likes

That “right direction” is happening to me for too long now, enough time for me to be discouraged to make new posts. After 800 days of visitation on this forum, I have to conclude that the Post Approval post is just too long.

5 Likes

Coming back to the whole point: people are not ranked up based on activity, but on posting behavior and how often they need to post in post-approval-restricted categories. You can show that you are ready by going through post approval successfully a few times.

In the interest of keeping this on-topic, my suggestion would be that we only discuss the trust level names and permissions here, and not post approval waiting times etc since there are already many topics about that. Post approval is another item and that will also continue to receive upgrades to make it scale better.

9 Likes

An interesting change. But I understand why you guys did it since some people aren’t new for developing. Good change in my opinion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thought I got Promoted to Member then saw this lol
Pretty Decent change I’d say

Thank you, this is a great addition. I’ve been new member for over 2 years, and it was annoying that it was still there since I wasn’t really “new” to the devforums, so this is great.

2 Likes

I think this is way better. I’ve been on the dev-forums for around 3 years, but I still had new member because I don’t post a ton - obviously I was not new. Overall, I think this is a good change and better reflects the meaning behind the ranks.

3 Likes

I don’t really have an opinion on this. While it was a good decision and more accurately names the 2 beginning roles, I don’t believe it was absolutely necessary.

On a side note, I wonder what will come next for the Developer Forum.

EDIT: Also, for the new people that join and read the old guide, has the guide been updated with these names? If not, then they are probably scratching their heads right now.

1 Like

I really don’t like this change. It’s misleading for one as you’ve now just swapped names around. A new name for the old “New Member” should have been used to not get those of us who have been looking towards getting member.

Also, all of the forum documentation was updated a week or so ago, why was this announcement and change done so long after that?

Like others have said, I think the name should be switched around as its a bit confusing, but thats more of an opinion thing. That said, this post does make things more clear to me, so I appreciate the post.

This update is not very good: for 1 Reasons;

As a New-Member I am pretty sure I was able to post comments in discussion now as a Member I can’t?

1 Like

You were never able to post threads or replies as a New Member in the #discussion category before or after this change.

4 Likes

Actually your topic would go through post approval first in the #discussion category

Yes. That means you can’t post on it immediately as you do not have access to as a New Member (now Member). This is the same for other categories such as Engine Requests.

You can see the thread and pass through Post Approval, but not post in it immediately.

I am a Member (what used to be New Member) myself, and I can still create a topic in Discussion for Post Approval.

5 Likes