Changes to Part Surfaces

I don’t use any surfaces but smooth and my wheels work fine they don’t use the hinge system I just use the steercreate, will it still be affected if I’m not using the hinges for my wheels?

1 Like

If you are already using constraints for your wheels then you don’t have to do anything. I doubt they will do anything with Motors so you should be fine.

2 Likes

I’m not exactly sure what I’m using but I know my vehicle wheels don’t use hinges or any sort of surface attachment that’s being removed.

1 Like

No future surface joint change will intentionally break existing Toolbox models, including this one. You shouldn’t need to update anything.

4 Likes

So if my chassis is using hinges and this script it isn’t going to break?

2 Likes

You should enable the beta feature and see.

3 Likes

I don’t have the option as of right now, I’m currently on the Beta waiting list.

3 Likes

It shouldn’t take more than a day or two to be added after signing up. The feature will still be available

3 Likes

Never mind sorry lol i just realized i was in it!

2 Likes

Just a note, this is not a script from a toolbox model, it’s the ancestor to the one used in the toolbox cars. The car he got that script from uses surface motors as the motive force, not vehicle seats proper.

Speaking of which, if the surface joint changes are to not break toolbox models, will that hold true when surfaces are removed entirely? I expect I will have to update them by then lest the toolbox model system be removed. Updating them is something I’m more than happy to do, but I recall the last time I tried to update the toolbox models the models did not update.

2 Likes

I’d be awesome if you could update it to work with a bit of an older chassis!

2 Likes

Woah, Nostalgia alert! Weld constraints are nice, and when this fully releases it won’t be a problem for me, but what about new users who want to make a simple build this may increase their building time. Either way users will adapt. Glad to see some stuff will kept for asthetics and preventing games from breaking!

6 Likes

Is there any way to mass-delete welds and snaps without plugins?

2 Likes

You can search for an Instance of any name specified in Studio’s Explorer widget.

(Or maybe “Filter workspace”)

This searching filter includes every Instance within the DataModel, not just the workspace.

You can find all objects containing the “Weld” name, and then you could mass delete those by hand. Well you said no plugins, so… just delete them by hand if you need to do this without the work of plugins.

2 Likes

I’ve tried this, it was a complete nightmare… Luckily I found a nice plugin that deletes any instances with the same given name though, will probably be helpful for others trying to remove all welds and snaps:
https://www.roblox.com/library/1277108433/Multiple-Object-Remover

1 Like

Sorry if this has been answered, but I’m still a bit confused. Do you know if manual welds are being removed in this update?

3 Likes

No joint objects are being removed.

5 Likes

Oh no this stresses me, so will my build just break?

1 Like

If you rely on Surface joints while building, after this update, no new joints will be created, and so your new builds will fall apart. Old ones won’t be affected. You will need to either switch to making joints to all neighboring bricks agnostic of surfaces, or use constraints instead.

Or you could cheat and use some scripting to partially-restore the old surface functionality. It won’t be the same though.

3 Likes

I will try to use this next time.