Changes to Part Surfaces

So if I turn off surface joining, is that how everything will react after this update or am I missing something?

1 Like

Do you think RotateV or these type of motors would be affected?image

This update only affects building tools that rely on legacy surface joint behavior. The joints themselves will remain the same.

2 Likes

My vehicles use those motors for the wheels will it some how be affected?

The joints will remain the same if theyā€™re already built. If you need to make new vehicles with these old joints, you need to first build it unjoined and then call Model:MakeJoints() on the entire thing.

The scripts currently already call for make joints

As long as youā€™re not mixing in constraints, the joints will function exactly the same as they do now. Read the announcement for details.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried the beta everything works in the beta so should it be fine from there

2 Likes

Will the script that creates the two motors still create those or would I have to manually put them in the vehicle?

Again, this only affects build tools. You can still script the legacy joints as you always have been able to.

1 Like

Just to confirm the build tools would be the drop down menu? image

These will remain. In the joints mode tool, the ā€œSurfaceā€ option is being removed.

Iā€™m still confused with the whole ā€œRotateVā€ is this related to this subject or will it be untouched?

RotateV is likely related, but because of your particular case, you will not be impacted. You will not be impacted by this change for the model that you are showing us.

I will explain why, but keep in mind that you will not be impacted. Your model and future models you make will continue to work if you keep making them how you are now. Nothing Iā€™m about to say invalidates that.

If you plan to change how you are making your models, then you need to evaluate the first post by kleptonaut and figure out if things will keep working for you. If you plan to ask us if the changes you will make will change anything, then please be as detailed as possible. Let me reiterate that the way you are doing things right now will continue to work and will remain untouched.

The reason that what you are doing will continue to work is because:

1. You are not using constraints, you are only using part surfaces
  2. You have a script calling :MakeJoints() or a script makes the joints itself.

Because of these things, your model will continue to work. If you change either of these then your model will break.

You model will still work and will not be impacted. It is possible that a future change months down the line will impact you. Because of this, I suggest getting familiar with constraints and transitioning your models over to constraints. Right now, with this change, you will not be impacted and your model will continue to work. You do not need to change anything right now.

3 Likes

Would motors that are made before the update still be functioning or not?

1 Like

This looks really fun to use! I canā€™t wait until part surfaces are relevant again so I can start using them in more projects. Big +1 for Roblox devs.

1 Like

RIP my yellow cheese blocks :frowning:
proof
One like = 1R$ to a Cheese family in need!

UPDATE: As @UnderMyWheel mentioned below:

Yesss!!

14 Likes

Yes, please read the original post

Just in case you didnā€™t already see this:

3 Likes

I love the update! I usually donā€™t use studs because I think I really donā€™t need to. However as long as there is no changes to Anchoring I will be fine! :grinning:

:cold_sweat: Itā€™s disappointing to me as a Average developer since this will get removed I donā€™t use the feature as much however I do use it a lot for baseplates.

1 Like