Changes to PartInstance Streaming with Streaming Enabled

So to confirm, a part instance returned by a remote function when streaming will always be an invalid reference (i.e. unreliably nil)?

Actually I retract my retraction of the earlier suggestion WRT unique IDs, this is tremendously messy that I have to use the part’s name for this to find it uniquely inside its container. I cannot provide a friendly name for the part to players now without having to refactor a ton of code or else desync the part’s name on the client, and there’s no fast way otherwise to find the part within it’s container.

I am patching around this with the following code and using it everywhere I need to pass parts from server to client, but this solution desyncs the part’s name from the server. Hopefully this will not be an issue down the road.

I think API to obtain a part’s unique ID and efficiently wait for a child/ancestor part with that ID would solve my issues.

3 Likes

If the part is created in the remote function then at the time the function returns on the client the part will be invalid.

We are evaluating ways to simplify things for developers writing local scripts in streaming enabled games. Thanks for your suggestion about waiting using unique IDs.

4 Likes

Do we have any timeline for Streaming Out yet?

Shenanigans! This new change completely streaming for my game (I have always used it). The NPC enemies do not show up at any range, sometimes even when my character is attacking them (range < 15 studs).

In this delightful moment, a rock was thrown by an invisible enemy. The rock shows up immediately (presumably because it does not have skinned mesh animations)

Turning off StreamingEnabled fixes my game.

The change described in this post has not been enabled yet.

I was in studio when this happened, and this post suggests it is enabled. I apologize if I misread this.

Sorry, it is enabled in studio. Does the NPC never appear? Is it only characters with skinned meshes that seem to be a problem?

Can you share a small repro place if possible?

I only have skinned mesh characters, so I only know that angle. /shrug

Some never appear. Some appear when I’m right on top of them.

Actually, there are probably 3 moving parts to this. I will dig a little to make sure I am blaming the right problem.

• Some NPCs are loading without any meshes. Just the Humanoid and HRP. This was client side only.
  • Some NPCs are not showing up at all client side.
  • Dialog is triggered by distance (under 20). THOSE npc’s show up, but they do not trigger dialog.
  • There is a change to the size of the HRP and how it reacts to the bones. My oldest models imploded, but my newer ones are fine. I will reload them. The imploded models now just scatter their parts to the wind.
  • I also recently added a lot of triangles at a distance (the map is approx 2k x 2k right now), so I was expecting some changes while streaming enabled. Close stuff should still show up.
1 Like

I have a very similar issue but its the player’s entire character that just refuses to stream in (mostly after respawning)

(I use custom characters with custom respawning)

even if I set the character to a dummy and try to force the client to stream in the character

I just get this error:

“The specified replication focus has not been streamed to the client.”

I set the replication focus to the HRP and use Player:RequestStreamAroundAsync() so yeah I have no idea how it managed to fail to load in the player’s character

I think this is a studio bug because if I swap my studio view to the server and do literally anything to the player’s character such as move it the tiniest bit then it manages to stream to the client instantly.

^^ I know this might not be related but the client is still managing to play animations / use all humanoid functionality on their character even though they don’t have the bodyparts streamed in

This has been driving me crazy for the past few days so this morning I just made the decision to opt-out of Streaming Enabled as I can’t seem to fix this and I can’t risk players spawning in and being unable to see their character.

(Please note that sometimes the character respawns in the exact same location and still fails to stream in despite being the exact same pretty much)

but my game had 0 issues with streaming in the character before this change :confused:

now im just gonna wait for it to be enabled in live games and try to fix it from there…

probably gonna change to using the normal Player:LoadCharacter() and changing the character from that it may not perform as well due to replication but I assume its safer

(Probably should have mentioned I can’t reproduce this bug so im assuming the client is running out of memory due to the map being streamed in)

3 Likes

To update developers waiting for this change to be enabled globally, we are delaying this while we investigate some of the issues recently reported on this thread. Will update timeline when we expect to enable this soon.

5 Likes

Our current plan is to enable an improved version of these changes in Studio on March 22nd, followed by global enabling on March 28th if no major issues are observed.

6 Likes

FYI, this is no real replacement but in the mean-time (and actually quite convenient as well) you can use the returned GetInstanceAddedSignal and GetInstanceRemovedSignal events of collection service to listen for streamable parts to be added, and removed.

1 Like

When you create a new character model for the player, are you setting player.Character equal to the new model? If not, you could try that

1 Like

@CorvusCoraxx sent me a really interesting suggestion in private messages to not spawn during a Heartbeat

previously I was spawning right after task.wait ( aka the next heartbeat)

I swapped it to RunService.Stepped:Wait() and my problem appears to be fixed

2 Likes

The issue with spawning during a heartbeat is the problem that GolgiToad shared and has been fixed. The fixed version will be enabled in Studio next week.

3 Likes

The improved version with the fix for parts created during heartbeat is now enabled in Studio.

2 Likes

Looking good over here! Thanks for the update!

1 Like

Shouldn’t it be enabled now or was there another issue?

1 Like

Sorry, should be enabling today. Will update when enabled.

1 Like

This change is now enabled globally.

1 Like